Topics

An auto tuner for my IC-7000

MARCO EVANGELISTA
 

HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

James Johnston
 

I have a 993B, if you have the correct cable, and set it up correctly, it will tune with the mike key. It may take a few seconds, so allow time before talking. It will adjust tuning as you work up or down a band, without using the Tune button. 

Jim Johnston
KK6DLN 

On Apr 29, 2018, at 2:18 PM, MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...> wrote:

HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

james brock <jamesbrock@...>
 

I have the MFJ kw version.  Not sure I would do it again.  Sent the first one purchased back to the factor shortly after purchase.  They kept it a LONG time and finally rather than repairing it sent me a new one.  One thing that I really don't like with mine. When on 80 meters and want to go to a higher frequency it is necessary to remove the power and reset it.  Otherwise it will not tune.  Have had problems with not tuning  on specific frequencies.  Example would not tune on lower end of 80 meters and not at all on 12 meters.  I happen to be using it frequently it finally tuned up on these frequencies.  But still will not tune on 10 meters.  17 Meters I have to walk up in frequencies.  I start tuning on 20 meters, then go next to 17 meters, then to 15 meters, then to 12 meters. I call it walking up in bands is what I call it.  My opinion there is a bad relay and sometimes it works, sometimes not.  

I will likely continue using it, I am a senior citizen and  $$$ comes hard.  But I would not purchase the same unit again. There has to be something much better out there somewhere.  

James Brock
541-868-5827 

 DO NOT ACCEPT TEXTING



On Sunday, April 29, 2018, 3:12:39 PM PDT, James Johnston <jimthej@...> wrote:


I have a 993B, if you have the correct cable, and set it up correctly, it will tune with the mike key. It may take a few seconds, so allow time before talking. It will adjust tuning as you work up or down a band, without using the Tune button. 

Jim Johnston
KK6DLN 

On Apr 29, 2018, at 2:18 PM, MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...> wrote:

HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

Jerry Flanders
 

Icom (at least used to) sell tuners for their radio lineup. AH-4, IIRC, is one that should work fine with the 7000. It tunes a random-length wire OK for most bands.

Jerry W4UK


At 05:18 PM 4/29/2018, you wrote:
HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well?
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

Kurt Sweeny
 

I have had a good experience with the 929 auto. It has worked well for 6 years; when tuning into loads that are challenging I first tune at 15W.

Kurt
KD6LZV

On Apr 29, 2018, at 2:18 PM, MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...> wrote:

HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

Juliean Galak
 

Not one of the ones you asked about, but I've had excellent success with an LG-7000 tuner.  It was designed for the IC-7000 and works flawlessly.  Fully automated.  Gave me great performance with an end-fed random wire on every band from 80 to 10.

Juliean
KQ2Z 


On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 8:37 PM Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:
I have had a good experience with the 929 auto. It has worked well for 6 years; when tuning into loads that are challenging I first tune at 15W.

Kurt
KD6LZV

On Apr 29, 2018, at 2:18 PM, MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...> wrote:

HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

--
Juliean Galak
jgalak@...

Simon Thompson
 

I would second the suggestion for the LG-7000. I have an AT-180, and it’s good, but it is pretty limited in terms of antenna matching; 3:1 is about its limit.

On Apr 29, 2018, at 5:48 PM, Juliean Galak <jgalak@...> wrote:

Not one of the ones you asked about, but I've had excellent success with an LG-7000 tuner.  It was designed for the IC-7000 and works flawlessly.  Fully automated.  Gave me great performance with an end-fed random wire on every band from 80 to 10.

Juliean
KQ2Z 

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 8:37 PM Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:
I have had a good experience with the 929 auto. It has worked well for 6 years; when tuning into loads that are challenging I first tune at 15W.

Kurt
KD6LZV

On Apr 29, 2018, at 2:18 PM, MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...> wrote:

HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco



-- 
Juliean Galak
jgalak@...

Bob Rodgers <kc4tvo@...>
 

I have had poor luck with MFJ tuners.  IMO, for the money, the LDG-100 or 200 Pro II is the best choice.  I have used one for years in the field with my IC-7000s and the shack, it has never faltered.  I also use one in my RMS Winlink station that runs 24/7/365. Now running continuously for over 5 years!  It is simple, quick, automatic, or semi, and it tunes a very wide range. AND it will work fine on other rigs for the future.

 

Bob

KC4TVO

 

From: ic7000@groups.io [mailto:ic7000@groups.io] On Behalf Of Simon Thompson
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2018 9:21 PM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Cc: Simon Thompson
Subject: Re: [ic7000] An auto tuner for my IC-7000

 

I would second the suggestion for the LG-7000. I have an AT-180, and it’s good, but it is pretty limited in terms of antenna matching; 3:1 is about its limit.



On Apr 29, 2018, at 5:48 PM, Juliean Galak <jgalak@...> wrote:

 

Not one of the ones you asked about, but I've had excellent success with an LG-7000 tuner.  It was designed for the IC-7000 and works flawlessly.  Fully automated.  Gave me great performance with an end-fed random wire on every band from 80 to 10.

 

Juliean

KQ2Z 

 

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 8:37 PM Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

I have had a good experience with the 929 auto. It has worked well for 6 years; when tuning into loads that are challenging I first tune at 15W.

 

Kurt

KD6LZV


On Apr 29, 2018, at 2:18 PM, MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...> wrote:

HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

 

 

 

-- 

Juliean Galak
jgalak@...

 

james brock <jamesbrock@...>
 

I agree about the MFJ automatic tuner.  I have had so many issues with mine, no doubt about it, I would not purchase another one.  It has been a PIA since started using it.  

James Brock
541-868-5827 

 DO NOT ACCEPT TEXTING



On Sunday, April 29, 2018, 9:05:13 PM PDT, Bob Rodgers <kc4tvo@...> wrote:


I have had poor luck with MFJ tuners.  IMO, for the money, the LDG-100 or 200 Pro II is the best choice.  I have used one for years in the field with my IC-7000s and the shack, it has never faltered.  I also use one in my RMS Winlink station that runs 24/7/365. Now running continuously for over 5 years!  It is simple, quick, automatic, or semi, and it tunes a very wide range. AND it will work fine on other rigs for the future.

 

Bob

KC4TVO

 

From: ic7000@groups.io [mailto:ic7000@groups.io] On Behalf Of Simon Thompson
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2018 9:21 PM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Cc: Simon Thompson
Subject: Re: [ic7000] An auto tuner for my IC-7000

 

I would second the suggestion for the LG-7000. I have an AT-180, and it’s good, but it is pretty limited in terms of antenna matching; 3:1 is about its limit.



On Apr 29, 2018, at 5:48 PM, Juliean Galak <jgalak@...> wrote:

 

Not one of the ones you asked about, but I've had excellent success with an LG-7000 tuner.  It was designed for the IC-7000 and works flawlessly.  Fully automated.  Gave me great performance with an end-fed random wire on every band from 80 to 10.

 

Juliean

KQ2Z 

 

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 8:37 PM Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

I have had a good experience with the 929 auto. It has worked well for 6 years; when tuning into loads that are challenging I first tune at 15W.

 

Kurt

KD6LZV


On Apr 29, 2018, at 2:18 PM, MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...> wrote:

HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

 

 

 

-- 

Juliean Galak
jgalak@...

 

Max White
 

I run a 7000 mobile with the respective LDG model at the back end of it, into a 102" whip, or long wire if parked up - not had a problem and copes well.  73 Max/M0VNG




From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> on behalf of MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...>
Sent: 29 April 2018 22:18
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: [ic7000] An auto tuner for my IC-7000
 
HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

Andre Montald
 

Hi Marco,

I am using for years the LDG Z-100Plus. Same width, but shorter, sits under the IC7000. The special cable furnished for the IC7000 enables using its TUNER button. Is half-price the MFJ993B at least overhere.

73, André, ON7UM

2018-04-29 23:18 GMT+02:00 MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...>:

HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco


Phil Baird
 


MAX, what ldg model are you using?
 Thanks, Phil, Prescott, AZ

On Sunday, April 29, 2018, 11:37:44 PM MST, Max White <bmews@...> wrote:


I run a 7000 mobile with the respective LDG model at the back end of it, into a 102" whip, or long wire if parked up - not had a problem and copes well.  73 Max/M0VNG




From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> on behalf of MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...>
Sent: 29 April 2018 22:18
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: [ic7000] An auto tuner for my IC-7000
 
HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

Max White
 

The one that is produced for that rig - the IT-100. I also use the paired tuner for an 897.




From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> on behalf of Phil Baird via Groups.Io <mypactor@...>
Sent: 30 April 2018 08:27
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] An auto tuner for my IC-7000
 

MAX, what ldg model are you using?
 Thanks, Phil, Prescott, AZ
On Sunday, April 29, 2018, 11:37:44 PM MST, Max White <bmews@...> wrote:


I run a 7000 mobile with the respective LDG model at the back end of it, into a 102" whip, or long wire if parked up - not had a problem and copes well.  73 Max/M0VNG




From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> on behalf of MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...>
Sent: 29 April 2018 22:18
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: [ic7000] An auto tuner for my IC-7000
 
HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

Bob Rodgers <kc4tvo@...>
 

The IT-100 requires that you tune it with the front button or the tune button on the radio, it is not fully automatic.  That is not really evident from the description.  The 100 or 200 Pro II are automatic.

 

From: ic7000@groups.io [mailto:ic7000@groups.io] On Behalf Of Max White
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2018 8:03 AM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] An auto tuner for my IC-7000

 

The one that is produced for that rig - the IT-100. I also use the paired tuner for an 897.

 


From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> on behalf of Phil Baird via Groups.Io <mypactor@...>
Sent: 30 April 2018 08:27
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] An auto tuner for my IC-7000

 

 

MAX, what ldg model are you using?
 Thanks, Phil, Prescott, AZ

On Sunday, April 29, 2018, 11:37:44 PM MST, Max White <bmews@...> wrote:

 

 

I run a 7000 mobile with the respective LDG model at the back end of it, into a 102" whip, or long wire if parked up - not had a problem and copes well.  73 Max/M0VNG

 


From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> on behalf of MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...>
Sent: 29 April 2018 22:18
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: [ic7000] An auto tuner for my IC-7000

 

HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

Steve W3AHL
 

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 02:36 pm, MARCO EVANGELISTA wrote:
HI,
I would like to purchase an automatic tuner for my 7k. I have selected the MFJ-939I and the MFJ-993B.
 I would prefer the latter, as it is way more versatile. However, as far as I have understood, when I change frequency, the 939I tunes up without the need to push the "tune" button, while the 993B requires button pushing.
Have I understood well? 
Any recommendations for a good tuner?
73 Marco

 The first question should always be what types of antennas are you using?  Any thing else we should be aware of about your installation (mobile, second floor shack with poor RF ground, switching among different antennas on the same band, etc.) ?    Some tuners work OK with some antennas and don't work at all with others....

I would avoid MFJ, due to continuing erratic quality control problems.

Steve, W3AHL

Ludovic Ludo
 

Hello,

AH-4 need a command wire.

To answer to the question, i prefer a wellknow Smartuner SG230.
Much expansive but better quality.

I use mine for 20 years like you can see on qrz.com.
(long wire before and now loop)

Best regards,
Ludovic - F5PBG.

wb0m
 

Hello Marco,

I’d vote for the AH-4 or a SGC tuner, although it’s not one of you chocies.
Maybe a bit more $$, but very versatile and they work great, whether its a long wire, dipole, loop or vertical. Plug & play.

GL & 73,
Jeff/wb0m

Bill Turner
 

The IT-100 is good to 100 watts for ssb and CW, but only good to 30 watts for digital modes.

Gene Santoski
 

I use the Icom AT-180.  Works great and self tunes when you change frequencies or bands.  You can also MANUAL tune when desired.
73

K9UTQ

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018, 10:46:54 AM CDT, Bill Turner via Groups.Io <w4wnt@...> wrote:


The IT-100 is good to 100 watts for ssb and CW, but only good to 30 watts for digital modes.

Roeland Jansen, PA3MET
 

I am using an LDG for both the 7000 as well as the 7100. The AT200PROII