Topics

Adjustment after replacing finals?

steve+grpio@...

Has anyone performed the full transmitter adjustment?

I just replaced the HF finals in my 7000.  The unit powers up and emits power; so far so good.  How much of the Tx adjustment procedure do I need to perform?  Is it OK to only set the Driver Idle currents or should I do the whole procedure?

The reason I ask is that one step is confusing me.  The TX PEAK adjustment says to preset L604, L612 and L904 to a default setting.  But nothing else later says how to do final adjustment on these inductors.  I'd rather not touch them without better guidance.

Any thoughts?

Steve, AG6QX

Helmut Wabnig

On Wed, 22 May 2019 20:53:05 -0700, you wrote:

Has anyone performed the full transmitter adjustment?

I just replaced the HF finals in my 7000.  The unit powers up and emits power; so far so good.  How much of the Tx adjustment procedure do I need to perform?  Is it OK to only set the Driver Idle currents or should I do the whole procedure?

The reason I ask is that one step is confusing me.  The TX PEAK adjustment says to preset L604, L612 and L904 to a default setting.  But nothing else later says how to do final adjustment on these inductors.  I'd rather not touch them without better guidance.

Any thoughts?

Steve, AG6QX

I have done this all.
Replaced Pre and finals.
Adjust the driver and final DC currents,
and leave everything else as is.
Do not adjust the coils.
You may try, but there is nothing special.
Omit that step with the preset default settings.
It is simple to do and you will agree afterwards.

OE8UWW

Paul Hansen

The only critical adjustment is final bias. Set driver bias while you’re at it. All of the band specific drive adjustments are very difficult because of the 3mv audio level specification. Check power output in RTTY on all the bands. If it’s too high go through the power output adjustments. You only need audio at input saturation so it’s not as hard. Don’t mess with any coils.

Thank you,

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA

Amateur Radio Service

2134 Carthage Road