i can not get my radio in to adjustment mode

davebb123456

i can not get my radio in to adjustment mode, am i doing something wrong, i have a uk (10) model , i am doing as page 16 of the service manual says,and the radio just starts up as normal, my civ port is working and i am using the same jack plug to try and get the radio in to adjust mode,
Please help,
Thanks Dave 2E0DMB

Hoffy

Hi Dave, Hoffy here, just double checking that the 1/8th plug that you are using has been "shorted" as per the instruction of the manual.

Cheers and all the best,

Hoffy - VK4OY

On 16/04/2022 5:37 am, davebb123456 wrote:

i can not get my radio in to adjustment mode, am i doing something wrong, i have a uk (10) model , i am doing as page 16 of the service manual says,and the radio just starts up as normal, my civ port is working and i am using the same jack plug to try and get the radio in to adjust mode,
Please help,
Thanks Dave 2E0DMB

davebb123456

Hi
Yes yes it is
 A 3.5mm mono jack plug ,so only 2 pins to short,
I have used this plug for cat control, with this radio and ham radio deluxe,
So I don't know why it will not go into adjustment mode,
Thanks Dave

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022, 20:28 Hoffy, <markvk4oy@...> wrote:

Hi Dave, Hoffy here, just double checking that the 1/8th plug that you are using has been "shorted" as per the instruction of the manual.

Cheers and all the best,

Hoffy - VK4OY

On 16/04/2022 5:37 am, davebb123456 wrote:
i can not get my radio in to adjustment mode, am i doing something wrong, i have a uk (10) model , i am doing as page 16 of the service manual says,and the radio just starts up as normal, my civ port is working and i am using the same jack plug to try and get the radio in to adjust mode,
Please help,
Thanks Dave 2E0DMB

Hoffy

Sorry Dave, I hope that somebody has the right answer for you. I wonder if there is some sort of programming /software glitch in the radio.

Once again I wish you all the best.

Hoffy - VK4OY

On 18/04/2022 5:38 am, davebb123456 wrote:

[...]

Yes that's what I am thinking,
Thanks Dave

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022, 20:51 Hoffy, <markvk4oy@...> wrote:

[...]

I have done a full reset,
[...]

I guess that if there is something amiss in the initial programming of the radio then resetting it will not rectify the problem.

Hoffy

On 18/04/2022 5:53 am, davebb123456 wrote:

[...]

Paul Hansen

Not only does CI-V have to be shorted, you have to hold down the Pre Amp and Tuner buttons simultaneously with turning it on. The 7000 is a difficult radio to work on in the adjustment mode so good luck.

Thank You

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA

Amateur Radio Service

2134 Carthage Road

Tucker, GA 30084

(864) 222-3539

www.amateurradioservice.com

[...]

Hi Paul
Yes I have been holding those buttons down when switching on , as in the service manual,
Thanks Dave, all help is appreciated,

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022, 21:56 Paul Hansen, <pwhansen@...> wrote:

[...]

John Mardock

With power off, remove the covers and with a multimeter check to make sure the PCB lands associated with that jack are actually shorted. I have seen dirty/contaminated/corroded jacks. Have also seen the jacks break the connections at the PCB ie land to run.
Alternately you might try applying a small amount of contact cleaner to the plug and exercising the plug/jack interface.

GL

John

davebb123456

Hi John you are thinking the same as me, yes I used contact cleaner on the plug,
The civ works with ham radio deluxe, but I will open the radio and look if it is showing as a short,
Like you said there maybe some resistance,
Thanks Dave

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022, 00:49 John Mardock, <j@...> wrote:
With power off, remove the covers and with a multimeter check to make sure the PCB lands associated with that jack are actually shorted. I have seen dirty/contaminated/corroded jacks. Have also seen the jacks break the connections at the PCB ie land to run.
Alternately you might try applying a small amount of contact cleaner to the plug and exercising the plug/jack interface.

GL

John

davebb123456

Hi John
I am going to test for any resistance on the remote socket, what is the best way to get to the solder points of this socket, do I remove the top board, or is it from the bottom side of the radio,
Thanks Dave

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022, 10:51 davebb123456 via groups.io, <davidbrowne76=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John you are thinking the same as me, yes I used contact cleaner on the plug,
The civ works with ham radio deluxe, but I will open the radio and look if it is showing as a short,
Like you said there maybe some resistance,
Thanks Dave

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022, 00:49 John Mardock, <j@...> wrote:
With power off, remove the covers and with a multimeter check to make sure the PCB lands associated with that jack are actually shorted. I have seen dirty/contaminated/corroded jacks. Have also seen the jacks break the connections at the PCB ie land to run.
Alternately you might try applying a small amount of contact cleaner to the plug and exercising the plug/jack interface.

GL

John

davebb123456

Hi also it looks like there is no heat sink compound on the pa driver board , I see this is very common ,as on TRX bench YouTube channel,so I may as well do this while I am in the radio,
I have also found some solder balls rolling about the pa board, and I have cleaned a lot of flux off, I see to remove the pa board I have to un-solder the driver board, is there anything that I am missing,I do have all of the correct equipment and knowledge to do this,
Thanks Dave 2E0DMB

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022, 00:49 John Mardock, <j@...> wrote:
With power off, remove the covers and with a multimeter check to make sure the PCB lands associated with that jack are actually shorted. I have seen dirty/contaminated/corroded jacks. Have also seen the jacks break the connections at the PCB ie land to run.
Alternately you might try applying a small amount of contact cleaner to the plug and exercising the plug/jack interface.

GL

John

davebb123456

Ok I have got some more info civ and cive go to pins 9+10 of J2252 of the logic unit, so testing from remote jack plug, the civ does connect to pin 9 , but on pin 10 the connection is lost from cive, there are some small inductors between the civ socket and the j2252 connector, I will have to lift the main PCB and have a look,
Thanks Dave
I will keep you posted

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022, 13:32 davebb123456 via groups.io, <davidbrowne76=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Many of the driver boards have either no or very little heat sink compound on them.
Be careful with the board as they are no longer available.

davebb123456

ok thanks, as it is still working , would it be a good idea to put some compound on it, as a lot have gone bad,
thanks Dave

I have always put some heat sink compound on it, just to be on the safe side.
To me keeping it as cool as possible is a good thing as I have seen pictures of the board charred and unusable. I have not seen this myself, however.

davebb123456

UPDATE
i have found the problem , with the civ not working to get into the setup menu, inductor EP2405 is sticking up in the air, it is only making contact with the cive socket ground side, and not connected to the track that it should be, it looks that some one has done this, (maybe to stop some one playing with the menu , and tacking the radio back to them for repair, only an idea, i am going to now correct this, , I will keep you all posted,
Thanks Dave 2E0DMB

davebb123456

Hi have not done the driver heatsink compound yet, but i have now got the remote socket working correctly and i can put the radio into Adjust Mode,
Thanks for all of your help and ideas,
Thanks Dave 2E0DMB

Hoffy

Well Done!!! Thanks for the updates.