IC-7000 Tutorial

Mister Mike

Does anyone know of a tutorial for the IC-7000? I am specifically looking for a learning course with structured lessons to teach an “old school” ham who is used to operating “boatanchors” how to use this radio.

A friend who is a fifty year amateur finally took the plunge and picked up an IC-7000 but finds operating it “overwhelming”. I know the feeling. It took me a long time to learn how to use the menu system. I already suggested he pick up the Nifty Guide but it is, IMHO, more of an “aide memoire” than an actual tutorial.

73,

Michael, W1RC

Prabhu

Dear friends,
If any one need icom ic7000 display brand new condition ,I have three numbers , price 75usd plus shipping,

Regards

Prabhu

On Friday, 12 November 2021, Mister Mike <w1rc@...> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a tutorial for the IC-7000?  I am specifically looking for a learning course with structured lessons to teach an “old school” ham who is used to operating “boatanchors” how to use this radio.
>
> A friend who is a fifty year amateur finally took the plunge and picked up an IC-7000 but finds operating it “overwhelming”.  I know the feeling.  It took me a long time to learn how to use the menu system.  I already suggested he pick up the Nifty Guide but it is, IMHO, more of an “aide memoire” than an actual tutorial.
>
> 73,
>
> Michael, W1RC

hrd998cc

Michael.  I had the same issue in 2004 when I purchased an Icom 706MkIIG.  Being a previous boatanchor ham, I was unable to use the 706 and had to have another ham walk me through the basics.
I just did a search on Youtube and found "IC-7000 - A Brief Look"  which goes through some of the menus.  It may be slightly too advanced for a ham new to the modern radio; however, I actually picked up on a few new things.  I am new to my 7000 as well.

There are a few more IC-7000 videos there, but as we should know, Youtube videos may be excellent, mediocre or even questionable, so mileage will vary! ;-)

Best 73,
Russ
KW6T

On Friday, November 12, 2021, 05:41:05 AM PST, Mister Mike <w1rc@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of a tutorial for the IC-7000?  I am specifically looking for a learning course with structured lessons to teach an “old school” ham who is used to operating “boatanchors” how to use this radio.

A friend who is a fifty year amateur finally took the plunge and picked up an IC-7000 but finds operating it “overwhelming”.  I know the feeling.  It took me a long time to learn how to use the menu system.  I already suggested he pick up the Nifty Guide but it is, IMHO, more of an “aide memoire” than an actual tutorial.

73,

Michael, W1RC

Ken N6PCD <n6pcd1@...>

Hello Michael,

This YouTube video may help your friend:

https://youtu.be/BYREdCNAGX8

--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

Winston Smith

I don't know about a tutorial, but here's a FAQ that might help.

Peter Cleall

The ic7000 is the  only transceiver I own, I have used it for 12 years. I only have the original handbook which is too complex to use, and the nifty book which is regularly used as it usually leads me to the right area for a solution.

The most useful function of the transceiver is the factory reset. When you think you may have set things up wrong or have lost your way , this will bring you back to a basic operating system for all modes. If you keep a log of your changed settings you can quickly restore you own setting s after a factory reset.

Peter. G8afn

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 at 13:43, Mister Mike <w1rc@...> wrote:
Does anyone know of a tutorial for the IC-7000?  I am specifically looking for a learning course with structured lessons to teach an “old school” ham who is used to operating “boatanchors” how to use this radio.

A friend who is a fifty year amateur finally took the plunge and picked up an IC-7000 but finds operating it “overwhelming”.  I know the feeling.  It took me a long time to learn how to use the menu system.  I already suggested he pick up the Nifty Guide but it is, IMHO, more of an “aide memoire” than an actual tutorial.

73,

Michael, W1RC

Charles & Sandra Cohen <cpcohen1945@...>

FWIW --

(a) He's not the only person having trouble -- this thread, from 12 years ago, shows that:

(b) There are lots of YouTube videos on the IC-7000.  Most of them are on specific topics, and I haven't searched for a general overview.

(c)  The Nifty Guides, IMHO, are very good.  They're "task-oriented", which is easier for a novice (and he's a novice, on the IC-7000) to grasp.   My club has run Field Days using the IC-7000, and they were very useful for inexperienced ops.

(d)  The thing I found most useful was to use Chapter 20 in the manual -- the 2-page "Menu Guide".  Copy the pages, laminate them, keep them always on the operating desk.

The "Menu Guides" have some unusual conventions, but once you understand those, they give you clear instructions about how to get from where you are (in the menu system), to where you need to go, to do what you want to do.

The key, for your friend, is to understand that almost all the knobs and buttons he's used to, have been replaced by either:

. . . a location in the menu system that specifies what you want to change,
. . . . .  and a knob or button that adjusts that setting.

The front panel is small, and just about every button and knob is "overloaded" -- it does more than one thing, and _what_ it does depends on the state of the radio, and (in particular) on where, in the menu system, it happens to be.

. . . It's all "logical", but there's a lot to learn, before you can dispense with the "Menu Guide".

I sympathize with him.  My 76-year-old brain is finding it harder and harder to learn stuff like that.  But it's the future -- a "one-knob-per-function" rig, with the IC-7000's capability, would have a _really_ big front panel.  Which brings up another approach:

(e) I asked a question about "one-knob-per-function" interfaces on eHam.net, and received many suggestions that read:

. . . "Use Ham Radio Deluxe for rig control -- that way, the rig's control panel is as big as your computer screen!"

I never tried that (too old, maybe) -- but your friend might find it a good answer to his problem.  No knobs and buttons, just mouse movements, and clicks.  And a display big enough to use meaningful names for different functions, instead of Icom's shorthand.

Good luck, and if something works, let us know about it.

.       Charles / va7cpc

Mister Mike

Thanks Chas et al.  BTW I found your operating guide and it is of great assistance.  It is an excellent start to what I envision.

The YOUTUBE videos are very useful but I believe a written document is the best way to go because the reader can go through it at his or her own pace and refer back when necessary..

Roger, K6OU, has written an excellent tutorial for the Yaesu FT-857D, another complex menu-driven marvel.  This Quick Guide to Operating the Yaesu FT-857D uses a series of five graduated exercises to introduce new users to operating the radio, its controls, and builds up confidence with the rig.

I am by no means an expert on the IC-7000.  I have three of them; one in each of my vehicles (2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor and 2001 Mazda Miata) and a spare.  Many of the features are lost on me.  I simply don’t use things like VOX which I hate and more.  I would be willing to collaborate with one or two others who are more intimately familiar with the IC-7000 than I to write a similar tutorial with graduated exercises.  I would use Roger’s work as a template and adapt it for the 7000.

Anyone interested? My direct email is w1rc@....

73,

Michael, W1RC/VE2XL

Augusto

Michael W1RC/VE2XL,
Thanks for info on the K6OU FT-857D tutorial! (also good for 817)
I have both FT-857D (FT-817 too) , and IC-7000
73 44 Augusto I2JJR

Il 13/11/2021 13:24, Mister Mike ha scritto:

[...]

Hi Peter,

Here’s a handy exploit I use with the IC-7000 user manual:
1. Download a PDF reader like Adobe Acrobat.
2. Download the IC-7000 manual from icom.

The Acrobat reader allows you to make word and phrase queries. Then you can highlight the relevant text and even add your own notes.

I’ve found this to be tremendously helpful over the years.
--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

Alan, AB6C

As a suggestion that may help in understanding the menus is to consider adding a 7" or possibly 15" or so external monitor that will accept composite video (it will have a yellow marking and it will be an RCA connector). The 7000 is one of the few older radios I think that allow external monitors to be used. I found that this makes working with an IC-7000 somewhat easier. You should be able to find a monitor online without too much trouble, I hope. You might check out this website:  https://www.hamradioandvision.com/ic-7000-external-monitor   for some guidance, as well as Youtube and other websites.  The Nifty Manual is also what I use most all of the time, and I'm 81. I hope this helps. It all sure helped me.

Good luck, Alan, AB6C

Augusto

As I mostly operated /P (wwff - hbff) from my car or near it, I used my NUVI car navigator, I have a model that accepts video for back camera.
This made working with IC-7000 very easier.
73 44 August hb9tza/i2jjr

Il 13/11/2021 19:47, Alan, AB6C ha scritto:

As a suggestion that may help in understanding the menus is to consider adding a 7" or possibly 15" or so external monitor that will accept composite video (it will have a yellow marking and it will be an RCA connector). The 7000 is one of the few older radios I think that allow external monitors to be used. I found that this makes working with an IC-7000 somewhat easier. You should be able to find a monitor online without too much trouble, I hope. You might check out this website:  https://www.hamradioandvision.com/ic-7000-external-monitor   for some guidance, as well as Youtube and other websites.  The Nifty Manual is also what I use most all of the time, and I'm 81. I hope this helps. It all sure helped me.

Good luck, Alan, AB6C

John Rupprecht K3NOQ

I use Ham Radio Deluxe  computer software for about 4 years now with my Icom 7000's ( I own two).  HRD allows  instant point & click access to all functions that I frequently use. I started with the older free version, and gladly moved up to the paid version and happily renew every year.  Its a whole lot easier than chasing through the 7K's buttons and menus.    73// John K3NOQ/5

Tab A