IC7000 No power on, no relay click

Steve Kent

Hi all:

Pulled the radio out of storage and attempted to power up the rig and it is completely dead. I have verified 13V at the PA board and 3.3V at the regulator on the CPU board.

I traced the PWRK signal to the CPU and I see it pull down to GND from 3.3V when the power button is depressed. The POWS signal that drives the power relay is high at 3.3V and never changes state.

Most of the power on problems that I have read about with this rig have to do with the power relay clicking, which is different than the way this rig is operating,or not operating.

Regards & 73,
Steve - KW5CQ

Steve
The 3.3 volts out should (I think) go to a relay driver as the 3.3 should not directly activate the relay. First I would do a complete reset (If possible) and see if that makes a difference and then I would go looking for the signal path from the CPU to the relay driver. Also the +12 volts to the circuit that has to be there for the relay to pull in.
Check the fuse behind the front panel as well.
I think that the radio "remembers" on-off state to the relay so it may be " stuck" in the on mode.
I couldn't find the relay in my perusal of the schematics just now, working from a defective memory of working on the radios in the past.

Luc

Hey To All,

Have here the same problem...J.D. if the relais dont go to ground (via q700 if i be right) you dont have the possibility to put the rig onn!
Its a great problem..there is only the  14V comming from the allimentation...past the fuse in the front..then going to the regulator on the cpu board as "HV" ...after the regulator you have the 3.3v vcc for the cpu.
There is no more life to find...on the rig...solong the cpu give his orders to pull the relais and give the 14v free to the other part of the rig...
I hope to bring life again in my rig..snif snif...

ON7KEC  Luc

Good luck to all on reviving your IC-7000.
I have had to bring two back to life and had to trace all of this, but that was a while ago.
I believe that if you have a +3.3 volts on Q700 the relay should pull in and power up the radio.
If not then there might be a bad relay etc.
I think you are on the right track.

Steve Kent

Hi J.D.:

Correct there is a relay driver (Q700) to pull the low side of the relay coil (RL701) to ground. The high side of the coil and the N.O. contact is sourced through the front panel fuse, which checks OK.

No matter what the state of the power switch, POWS never goes low, to turn on the relay driver and therefore RL701. Seems like Icom (in my mind) got the signal names backwards: POWS should be the switch and POWK as in 'K' for the relay, but they are opposite. No big deal, just confusing.

It seems as if the CPU board is brain dead. Tonight I will look at the XTAL pins with a scope to see if the CPU is getting a clock.

Another interesting observation is that there are tiny dots of corrosion, along the top row of pins on the CPU and a spot to the right side of the CPU, extending to a small group of surface mount components. I'll try to clean up those areas better with a fiberglass brush and maybe take some pictures. There are ventilation slots on the CPU board shield that line up with the ventilation slots on the top cover. Brilliant! I don't recall anything splashing on the rig, but for the 5 years it was mounted to the floor as a mobile rig, who knows.

Regards & 73,
Steve KW5CQ

Steve Kent

Radio is FIXED! Will follow up with photos and a description tomorrow.

Regards & 73,
Steve - KW5CQ

Luc

Hi Steve...

Pls explain your effort.....i ame veryyyyy intrested in your sollution,so that i can work further on my rig...mybe!!!

Steve Kent

So to recap and put all of this in one single post, the problem I was having with the rig was that it was completely dead. No relay clicks, nothing. I have verified +13V at the PA and elsewhere on the rig, including +3.3V at the output of the voltage regulator on the CPU board. The internal fuse tested OK. I could see +3.3V being pulled down on the main board (J2002) when I pressed the power button, so I knew that the control head, extension cable, interconnect board and flex cable were all OK.

The 3.3V supply is generated on the CPU board whenever power is supplied to the radio. The PWRK (power button) signal from the power button on the control head is ultimately tied to an I/O pin on the microprocessor (Pin 107 - General I/O Port) through several cables, interconnects and the main board.  When the PWRK pin is pulled low by pressing the POWER button, the microprocessor wakes up and pulls the POWS pin high. This turns on the relay driver (Q700), to pull the low side of the relay coil (RL701) to ground. The high side of the coil and the N.O. contact is sourced through the front panel fuse, which checks OK.

In the case of my rig, no matter what the state of the power switch, POWS never changes state to turn on the relay driver and therefore RL701. Seems like Icom (in my mind) got the signal names backwards: POWS should be the switch and PWRK, as in 'K' for the relay, but they are opposite. No big deal, just confusing.

I looked at the XTAL pins with a scope and found 16Mhz on both, so that verified that the CPU has a clock, but there was no activity on either the CPU data lines or the address lines of the CPU, confirming that the CPU is in fact, brain dead and not executing instructions.

Another interesting observation is that there are tiny dots of corrosion, along the top row of pins on the CPU and a spot to the right side of the CPU, extending to a small group of surface mount components. Once those areas were cleaned up with a fiberglass brush, it was evident that there was some erosion of the copper traces on the board near the processor. I found that Vcc was open on pins 98 & 99 and Pin 91 (PLLVcc) was isolated from the circuit. There are ventilation slots on the CPU board shield that line up with the ventilation slots on the top cover. Brilliant! I don't recall anything splashing on the rig, but for the 5 years it was mounted to the floor as a mobile rig, who knows.

After bridging pins 98 & 99 together, and running a jumper wire to R1305, the rig powers on and works FB!

73 and good luck,
Steve - KW5CQ

Pasquale S

Fantastic Steve !!!

Great job and thanks for sharing

Happy 2021 !!!

73s Pasquale IW0HEX

Inviato da Posta per Windows 10

[...]

Great detective work, Steve! It makes me proud that another IC700 rejoins the living!.

Jeff Atwood

That is very good detective work. Glad to see troubleshooting on that level.  Not sure if anyone else has ever had the issue of the memory bank switch on the IC7000 not working correctly but I'll add my two cents worth:

Some time ago I had noticed that the memory bank switch was starting to act up. As it was switching between banks, the display would jump back and forth between the banks A -> B -> C -> B etc. Eventually it settled onto one bank and never switched again no matter which way I would turn the knob.

Inline image

After contacting Icom to see how much the rotary switch was going to <gulp> cost, I decided to venture forth and investigate the cause not knowing if was indeed the switch or a component feeding voltage to the rotary switch.

It wasn't too difficult to take the control off of the front panel - just one tiny ribbon cable.  Once I had the control on the bench and in a portable vise, I took my Dremel tool and drilled out the riveted rods' heads (two in the corners).  I carefully pried apart the sections one layer at a time. Starting from the knob shaft end: the first section (blue) is the memory bank selector (bad), the next section (blue) is the memory channel selector, followed by the white section (push-button).

Here it is all strung out:
Inline image

In the above photo, the memory bank selector (blue) section is in the vise (below). The circled item is actually a multi-pronged contact wiper that makes contact from the conductive contact areas to the common (ground) center ring.  It is a digital switch that when rotated tells the radio which direction it is being rotated – I saw this on the scope with the other section which is still good (memory channel selector).  What I had discovered is that the contact wiper has these really TINY plastic pegs (two) that are simply pushed onto and holds the wiper flush with the plastic body.

Inline image

What I did was to get some decent superglue, applied a tiny dab on the bottom of the metal wiper section, aligned the metal wiper over the two pegs then clamped it for a while:

Inline image

Back together again:

Inline image

I then soldered the control back onto the daughter board of the control head, put the ribbon cable back in, screwed the control head back together, fired it up and everything works again!

Hopefully no else will ever this kind of problem but it sure is nice having access to all those memories again!

73,
Jeff
KM4PV

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 04:36:27 PM EST, J.D. Barron <jeter.d.barron@...> wrote:

Great detective work, Steve! It makes me proud that another IC700 rejoins the living!.

William Kerker

Don't know if it's the same, but just found this if your repair doesn't work out. It looks very similar.

--
Bill,  KMØF

Radio Amateurs must be tough, it's a 'Contact Sport'

Steve Kent

Hi Jeff:

Excellent write-up. Very nice deep dive!

I have a DeWalt radio with a mechanical-digital encoder that failed. Found a replacement encoder at Mouser.com. I ordered a tray of 12 of them and it was less than $20 delivered. Fixed the problem, but the radio started suffering other strange anomalies that I have yet to get into.

Regards & 73,
Steve - KW5CQ

Luc

Good job Steve,

Now i can starting to control those things on my propre 7000 with the same problem...

question...is there a posibility to test the rig without the pa board...to exclude problems in that board??

Greetings and keep up the good work

ON7KEC  Luc

Steve W3AHL

Good job!  It is important when handling all of the circuit boards to use proper ESD protection.  I notice one picture of the LOGIC board laying on what appears to be a synthetic cloth surface.  Unfiished wood or uncoated cardboard would be better, although an antistatic conductive mat that is grounded through a resistor is preferred, along with a grounded ESD wrist strap.  Low humidity during the wintter months makes this especially important.

Also, I have repaired several older (2006 era) 7K's that had poor solder joints on the CPU and other fine-pitch SMT's.  They didn't look too bad, but applying a little pressure to the legs with a dental pick showed the solder joint was loose.  These boards had flux residue around the leads which had to be thoroughly cleaned before reflowing (after applying new flux).  I found over 50 joints that needed reworking on various IC's on the board.  Both radios were very intermittent, but faiiled consistently if the PCB was flexed slightly.

Steve, W3AHL

Luc

Good evening to all..

finely i found the reason for no turning on of my 7000

R723 was broken..i measure 14v on the fuse site and only abbt 3v on the other side of the R.

so to low voltage on the regulator in the logic board...and no activation of q700 to pull the relais and give the HV line onn

Buth!!! the R has a value of 4.3ohm wen i measere him...silly!!

desolder him and he broke in 2 parts...so replaced bij a "ordinary" R and the 7000 is lighting and rx...

greeting