From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerard Arsenault
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2020 12:37 PM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: [ic7000] IC- 7000 USB Driver Software needed

Recently I had a hard drive failure on the computer I use for digital modes on my IC-7000. A newer computer with Windows 10 does not automatically create a com port for the interface that has been working for several years.Can  someone please provide a driver file for the CI-V interface or offer an internet link to one that works?

Sigi / DH1KLM

Edited

Since the IC7000 does not have a USB interface you should tell us which
interface you are using. If it is a cheap chinese one, it is possible there is a clone FTDI
chip in it which is causing your driver problem.

The following could solve your problem.
Solve FTDI problem

Helmut Wabnig

On Mon, 07 Dec 2020 12:37:16 -0800, you wrote:

Recently I had a hard drive failure on the computer I use for digital modes on my IC-7000. A newer computer with Windows 10 does not automatically create a com port for the interface that has been working for several years.Can  someone please provide a driver file for the CI-V interface or offer an internet link to one that works?
What does the device manager say?
right click the start button (lower left corner)
and scroll up the list.

OE8UWW

Jerry VE9CD

Thank you for your response. I understand that I need a driver. The problem is I cannot find one for the IC-7000.

There is not a driver for your ic7000! There is a driver for the USB cable you are using to convert to the RS232. The CABLE not the IC7000. The IC7000 has no driver as there is no USB converter in it.

Don Rolph

I had a similar problem when I upgraded to Windows 10.

Microsoft autoinstalled drivers detect whether the USB to serial chip is a true Prolific or FTDI chip or a clone.

If it is a clone, chip the autoinstalled driver will disable the chip.

I found there were two choices:

1) find the old drivers and manually install them and then do not install the windows 10 updated to the FTDI or Prolific chip drivers ( aibt of  pain)

2) throw out all my old clone usb to serial adapters and get new adapters which use standard FTDI or Prolific chips

I chose option 2.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 8:22 AM Gerard Arsenault <jerrya@...> wrote:
Thank you for your response. I understand that I need a driver. The problem is I cannot find one for the IC-7000.

AB1PH
Don Rolph

Jerry VE9CD

I get it. You are absolutely right. So where can I find a driver for a FT231X USB UART (RS232 to USB converter) adapter that will work on Windows 10 version 2004 ?

If you go to device manager and find the FT231X listed under USB COM etc. then go to driver and hit the search for driver on the web.
You can also search for it.
Try looking here:

https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Jerry VE9CD

This solution requires one to actually see a detected com port before applying the fix. My computer does not recognize the device I am using (FT231X USB UART). I'm continuing my research.

Jerry VE9CD

Your question I hope is answered in a couple of replies to other suggestions.

Be aware of one very important thing and that is that a whole lot of the FTDI chips in adapters are counterfeit and this why the WIN 10 will not locate them.
You might have on of the adapters with the counterfeit chips and this could be the reason that it will not find it.
I have had some that would give a warning and some that would do nothing.
This has been said several times here.

Some of the counterfeit cables now send a disk with a driver that will replace the FTDI driver and let it work, but this is just confirming that the cable is not genuine FTDI.

DougH <specialq.que@...>

Gerard,

If you are running W10 then the driver should be set up automatically when you attach the USB/Serial adapter. Use device manager - double click Ports(Com & LPT) you should see an entry for your device if driver installed.

Regards,
Doug - GM7SVK

On 08/12/2020 20:07, Gerard Arsenault wrote:
I get it. You are absolutely right. So where can I find a driver for a FT231X USB UART (RS232 to USB converter) adapter that will work on Windows 10 version 2004 ?

Steve W3AHL

Gerard,  If you go to the FTDI link J.D. posted, in the chart showing which drivers are used by operating system version, for Windows 10 there is a link to an installation guide in the right most column.  That guide has info on what to do if the FTDI chip is not automatically detected by Windows (which is normally is).  The instructions are quite detailed, although i haven't tried them, since I haven't had your problem before.

Steve, W3AHL

Jerry VE9CD

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have followed them all to no avail. I even purchased another cable which is supposed to have genuine chip. I now can see a com port when in device manager, however, still no rig control in any of the half dozen or so programs that worked flawlessly for years. Windows 10 has done a number on these cables.

For the digital to a Signalink USB etc.=
I doubt it, but you may need to right click on the speaker symbol at the bottom of the screen and select the correct audio device for the application. Open the sound settings.
Also the tab that pops up when you left click needs to be pointed towards the proper speaker output that goes to your rig (the new cable) otherwise it will go to your computer speaker.
The mike has to be also pointed to the proper for digital'
If you are talking about the CAT then make sure that the 3.5 mm plug is wired correctly and the baud rates are correct.
I used my windows 10 computers with my 7000 exclusively.
Find the com port for the new cable and check the baud rate and set the radio to the same.
What programs are you using?
When I have a new radio to setup I usually go the WSJT-X program and get it working and then use that setup for the others.

Steve W3AHL

I had no problems with USB to CI-V converters when changing from Windows XP to Windows 10 years ago.  And I haven't had any problems over the years with Win 10 upgrades affecting CI-V operation.  Perhaps you have a problem with the CI-V port in the radio.  The 3.5mm jacks are easily damaged internally when plugging and unplugging cables.  The contacts can be bent and the SMT leads can be pulled loose from the PCB pads if excessive force is applied to the plug's body at an angle.

Have you verified the radio's CI-V settings in Menu items 48-50 match the COM port's baud rate and the programs' settings?  Also verify the program is using the correct COM port.

I don't believe this is an inherent problem in Windows 10.  All versions of Windows have been a little quirky in releasing a COM port when the device or program teminates a connection sometimes.  My AIM antenna analyzer port has problems with this.  Sometimes just waiting 10+ minutes between stopping the software and restarting it allows the port to be released so that it can reconnect OK.  Other times even a reboot doesn't release it and I had to disable the port, reboot and then enable the port.  But most of the time it works fine.  Swapping back and forth between cables with different USB chips in them can confuse Windows sometimes.  I had two similar but different USB to Bluetooth adapters that had this problem.  As long as I used the same adpapter for an application then all was well.

There used to be problems with Windows trying to use a previously installed USB chip's driver instead of the newer one just installed.  I haven't seen this in Windows 10, but I haven't changed USB adapters much either.  It is best to uninstall an older FTDI or other USB driver before installing a new one, unless there is a known reason the older driver is needed for some device.  In Windows XP I would always uninstall the old driver, then if some device wasn't compatible with the newer version I would decide whether to reinstall it or update the hardware adapater to use the newer USB interface chip.

Good luck resolving the issue.

Steve, W3AHL

Robie - AJ4F

The USB to CIV converter I have has a 3.5mm TRS plug.  When I insert it into the remote jack on my IC7000 there is no communication between the radio and computer.  However, when I insert the TRS plug into a Tip Sleeve converter and the TS plug into the remote jack on the IC7000 it works perfectly.

Robie - AJ4F