Temp always showing hot #all

Kurt Baeten

I bought a 7K (after having been out of the hobby for 30 years) and it’s a great little radio BUT the temp gauge always shows HOT, even after just switching on.
also the fan always runs, even after just switching on, but this could be mod’ed as per some posts.
The radio is not hot to the touch and the rear heat sinks are cold (well, it’s been off).

It’s been behaving but in the last few days the power output seems to upon keying FT8 - never used to do that.

yes, I run 100W on FT8 as I only have an inverted-V dipole and contrary to some comments I can’t “work the world” with that e.g can’t get to SA although have all other continents.

anyone have any idea;
1. Why it’s always showing hot
2. why the power output would fluctuate on keying

SWR is all below 2:1 on all bands except 30m but handled with LDG IT-100 tuner.

thanks
kurt

Dale Barnes

I always run two 12volt computer  fans behind the 7K particularly on FT8 but I run no more than 50watts output into an inverted vee fan dipole so similar conditions just lower power. I found it wasn't making all that much difference to the signal reports running more power. I think you need to get the SWR down to reduce the heat in the rig. I also run an IT-100 but only need it to run 15met on the 40met vee.
The fans make a big difference to my rig temperature as it is always in the blue but always 1:1 SWR. I have had some RF in the shack but got rid of it with toroids on the coax and ferrite suppressors on the CIV and interface cables.

Cheers Dale VK7DG

On Sunday, 6 December 2020, 11:22:40 am AEDT, Kurt Baeten <kurt.baeten@...> wrote:

[...]

AB1DD

 Do you have anything plugged into the rear antenna tuner port? Some devices
that are not designed for the 7000 will cause the temp to read high, even though they will work with other Icom radios just fine. 73, Carl AB1DD Resistance is futile. (don't know about reactance, though)

Kurt Baeten

Thanks Dale, in my case the tuner doesn't seem to make much SWR difference between antenna connected via tuner or direct.
I also had RF and also used toroids and ferrites and seemed to fixed that problem.
Have since reduced power to 50W, am noticing though that I'm not being heard / answered as much (using PSKReporter)

Hoping to catch you on the waves...

---
Thanks & 73's de VK6KC
Kurt Baeten

Kurt Baeten

Hi Carl,
My links are as follows;
Radio -> antenna tuner -> SWR/PWR meter -> Antenna
Nothing else plugged into the tuner.

---
Thanks & 73's de VK6KC
Kurt Baeten

Michel MNR

Bonjour,
Mes liens sont les suivants:
Radio->SWR->tuner->antenne

73 de F6FSC  Michel

Le dimanche 6 décembre 2020 à 13:09:41 UTC+1, Kurt Baeten <kurt.baeten@...> a écrit :

Salut Carl,
Mes liens sont les suivants;
Radio -> tuner d'antenne -> compteur SWR / PWR -> Antenne
Rien d'autre n'est branché sur le tuner.

---
Merci et 73 de VK6KC
Kurt Baeten
_._, _._, _

Liens Groups.io:

Vous recevez tous les messages envoyés à ce groupe.

Afficher / Répondre en ligne (# 41152) | Répondre au groupe | Répondre à l'expéditeur | Muet de ce sujet | Nouveau sujet

_._, _._, _

Somehow the long answer I made failed to make it. On the PA board there are thermistors that read the temp. I think that they are R734 and R736 The hottest is directed to the CPU via D705 as the THML signal.
The CPU develops the temp meter on the display. These thermistors are fed from the +8 volt supply IC701.
On the schematic PA unit (1) upper left.
A quick search will find several articles on the heat and one has pictures of the thermal compound being added to get a better thermal connection of the thermistor to the heat sink.
The CPU (IIRC) also develops the FAN signal to turn on the fan. Some have modified the circuit bypassing the on off to have the fan run continuously.
When running FT8 I never ran over 50 watts, usually 30. A good antenna is a great addition to the station for FT8 or really any mode. I worked the world with a 43' vertical and a good radial system.

AB1DD

Try it without the tuner plugged in. Radio direct to the dummy load.
Carl
AB1DD

wb0m

Edited

"100W on FT8"

HI Kurt,
I'm not surprised the radio shows "hot" when running a full-duty cycle for 15 seconds at a time. Have you tried cutting back the power of FT8 (maybe 40w) and seeing if the temperature is still high.
Also:  Does it run how on SSB or other modes?
GL & 73,
Jeff/wb0m

I think he is saying that the radio shows hot when it is first turned on and not transmitting. You are correct that if it were operated at 100 watts for long on Digital it will be plenty hot.
If the sensors are lying to the CPU then the meter would read high.

Van

The correct position for the SWR/PWR Meter is between the Radio and the Tuner for it to work properly.

73

Van

WD6FGB