Temp always showing hot #all

Kurt Baeten

I bought a 7K (after having been out of the hobby for 30 years) and it’s a great little radio BUT the temp gauge always shows HOT, even after just switching on.
also the fan always runs, even after just switching on, but this could be mod’ed as per some posts.
The radio is not hot to the touch and the rear heat sinks are cold (well, it’s been off).

It’s been behaving but in the last few days the power output seems to upon keying FT8 - never used to do that.

yes, I run 100W on FT8 as I only have an inverted-V dipole and contrary to some comments I can’t “work the world” with that e.g can’t get to SA although have all other continents.

anyone have any idea;
1. Why it’s always showing hot
2. why the power output would fluctuate on keying

SWR is all below 2:1 on all bands except 30m but handled with LDG IT-100 tuner.

thanks
kurt

You may have a bad thermistor and that goes to the CPU and that will fold the power back as a function of the ALC and the CPU is what creates the indication on the screen.
There are two NTC resistors on the PA amplifier board R734 and R738 coupled through D705. The hottest one wins and feeds the THML line to the CPU. Each is fed off the 8 Volt regulator and the output is divided by the 4.7 K R733 and R 735.
There is a mod to help keep cool, but this would not apply to your case as the measurement circuit is probably bad.
http://www.pa3hgt.nl/-Fan%20mod,%20how%20it%20should%20be%20done%20for%20IC-7000%20(1).pdf.
You can trace the THML to the CPU if you need to find a circuit problem.
I think the file section has a copy of the service manual.

Joe Blazer

Kurt,

Don’t forget your “call sign”!

73, Joe  AB8ZK

[...]

I would guess  voltage  drop on  fuses commom issue
 or  connection to 12 volt power supply.

Don Weber
Ka7qqv
Ka7qqv@...

On 12/13/2020 11:03 AM Joe Blazer <blazer12@...> wrote:

Kurt,

Don’t forget your “call sign”!

73, Joe  AB8ZK

[...]

Kurt Sweeny

Hi Jioe,

I appreciate the diligence but this wasn’t my message.
73
Kurt
KD6LZV