Strength of the IC7000

Bob Hoffmann, K4CQO

OK, I have to eat crow here, but wanted to saw how tolerant the IC7000 is and how well the MAT-TUNER mat-180H works.

I do have the HF and VHF antennas labeled -- including the connectors and the coax, but after unplugging them for a lightening storm and reconnecting them, I manager to switch the whip that I use for VHF and Ultimax antenna that I use for HF. That went on for weeks -- actually do not remember how long it was switched.

I was wondering why the connection to the repeater was not going too well, and when I connected the HT for the DMR net and I could hear the connection very well, but when connecting to the repeater, I had lots of packet loss. The antenna tuner was able to get SWR to 1.5 for all of the bands -- including 160m -- while I was to the dual band 2m / 70 cm whip. I was surprised that I was able to get out at all!

Anyway, the IC7000 is doing fine, and now the S-meter is doing a lot better job of showing signals on HF than it was when connected to the dual band whip. I think that I need to put in a color coded label ... but I can say that the IC7000 and the antenna tuner are able to handle antennas that are no where near to the advertised bands without any apparent damage. I do have the power output set at 75-80%, but did put it up to 100% for the 2m net in order to be heard. I guess it makes sense to use the woodworking saying: "measure twice, cut once" for antenna connections -- the SWR of the units cannot be used to let you know if the right antenna is connected.

HF to the outside, VHF to the inside. Probably better to color code the antenna leads maybe with inside VHF - outside HF

--
J.D. Barron

wb0m

Strength of the IC7000
From: Bob Hoffmann, K4CQO

"I guess it makes sense to use the woodworking saying: "measure twice, cut once" for antenna connections -- the SWR of the units cannot be used to let you know if the right antenna is connected.

Hi Bob,

Don’t worry:  You’re not alone. I’m a big user of the phrase “I cut it twice and it’s still too short”. (HI!).

73,
Jeff/wb0m
Nebraska