Subject: 7000 intermittant?
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:04:47 -0400
From: Bill Abate <wabate@...>
To: Icom 7000 <ic7000@...>

Hi All,

After using my 7000 for years Murphy has shown up but in a way that defies my logic.  I typically do not use it on 6M.  I was testing it on 6 and it was recieving well.  Went to transmit (RTTY) full carrier but was only getting 20 watts out and the SWR was max.  Checked the antenna with another rig and the antenna was fine.  Put a dummy load on the 7000 and got the same low output and high SWR.  Puzzled, I tried another dummy and got the same result.  Power was measured with my Bird meter.

This is the goofy part.  Went back to the antenna and maybe one out of three key downs the output went to 80 watts with a decent SWR.  Could not duplicate that anomaly with the dummy load! Thought maybe the antenna relay was intermittent I tried HF and got full output and low SWR into the dummy.  Did not try UHF.

My guess is the SWR sensing circuit is faulty  Is the 6M SWR sensing circuitry different from HF?  I'm a fire and glass guy so limited on what I can do with SMD.

Comment?

73 and TIA,

Bill, K3PGB