Topics

2M CTCSS Tones, Most Popular

Kurt Sweeny

We had some discussion about what the most popular CTCSS tone might be . Here are some data for 2M machines in the U.S.
These data are from repeaterbook.com; a site with interesting data.

Kurt
KD6LZV

Tone Count
88.5 Count 162
100 Count 57
123 Count 31
103.5 Count 26
110.9 Count 26
107.2 Count 23
131.8 Count 23
114.8 Count 20
141.3 Count 19
127.3 Count 16
136.5 Count 12
162.2 Count 11
146.2 Count 10
77 Count 8
94.8 Count 8
186.2 Count 7
118.8 Count 6
91.5 Count 4
67 Count 3
151.4 Count 3
179.9 Count 3
192.8 Count 3
71.9 Count 2
82.5 Count 2
167.9 Count 2
250.3 Count 2
74.4 Count 1
85.4 Count 1
97.4 Count 1
156.7 Count 1
156.7 Count 1
173.8 Count 1
206.5 Count 1
233.6 Count 1

Jim Szalajeski

You can go to the repeater book web site and get the information there for any state and most repeaters there.  You have the choice to pick the band your looking for information.  You can set the display to sort by frequency, town or county.  In most cases the input CTCSS tone is provided there in the information.

It generally provides the call sign the repeater uses.  So you can do a search under that call sign on the Internet and see if you can obtain further repeater information that may be more current.

Jim

On Thursday, May 2, 2019, 8:53:58 AM PDT, Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe

The choice of PL tones across the USA can be a result of necessity from years ago. Most repeaters began as carrier squelch mode, or in other words no PL tone. As PL became more popular in repeaters it necessitated people with older radios to add a PL board. These early PL boards were single frequency PL boards. Switching PL tones was possible, but not easy.?? Because of this, many repeater owners in an area would decide upon a common frequency for Pl tones.?? Here in Eastern Connecticut 156.7Hz was a common choice. That way a user could switch between repeaters and use the same PL tone.?? So, geographical areas tended to use common PL tones.

Today with modern radios this is not necessary.

73, Joe, K1ike