I need a Logic board and ribbon cables

Steve W3AHL

I've purchased several replacement sets of the ribbon cables over the years from Icom.  They are in the $2 range each and well worth having on hand, since the next time you go to remove a board they may become intermittent, especially if the plastic stiffener on the back comes loose.

Steve, W3AHL
---In ic7000@..., <thc@...> wrote :

Yes somebody has been in there before I got it, all the copper tape on the logic can had been removed and ribbons to main board were loose in a bag and damaged like you say probably from not releasing the connector, otherwise it looks good. Thanks Steve

Tom Courtney

Yes somebody has been in there before I got it, all the copper tape on the logic can had been removed and ribbons to main board were loose in a bag and damaged like you say probably from not releasing the connector, otherwise it looks good. Thanks Steve

Steve W3AHL

The previous owner may have removed the cables without releasing the pressure clamp on the receptacle.  That damages the traces on the flex cable (and often pulls loose the backing strip that is essential for correct contact pressure and centering).

Steve, W3AHL

---In ic7000@..., <thc@...> wrote :

Did a bit more on the radio today removed all boards and removed all ribbon cables as I don't have access to new cables, I thought I would try something, I carefully trimmed a millimetre off the end of each ribbon cable so when I push them home the contacts will seat on virgin cable this has worked out great now I have solid video on the head screen one problem fixed just need a logic board now. Tom VK4DDG

Tom Courtney

Did a bit more on the radio today removed all boards and removed all ribbon cables as I don't have access to new cables, I thought I would try something, I carefully trimmed a millimetre off the end of each ribbon cable so when I push them home the contacts will seat on virgin cable this has worked out great now I have solid video on the head screen one problem fixed just need a logic board now. Tom VK4DDG

allgyer@...

I have successfully repaired Logic Boards in the past including one with these symptoms and one that needed a new CPU. Would be happy to have a go at this one or to buy the whole 7K. QRZ has my particulars.

Warren Allgyer - WA8TOD

Tom Courtney

Hi I purchased a dead 7K and the radio s/n 28010xx does power up but didn't post, so I removed the logic board and noticed it has a popped chip with a small piece missing its IC1218 on the underside of the logic board, I tried the head on my other 7K and it works fine, so I tried my good logic can in the broken radio, it

powered up and posted, band switching is OK and Mode switching is OK and looks promising but the video on the screen is running sideways and is not readable, I have read thru the posts and a problem like this was mentioned with faulty ribbon cables, this is an export PAL type with the 4.43 ref Xtal, but a NTSC Logic board will be fine as I can change the rock. Anybody got a good Logic Board that they will sell?  Thanks in advance Tom VK4DDG