[IC-7000] Available

John ZS5J

Good luck at that price. With the IC-7300 now available at not much more than your price,
I think folk would rather opt for the IC-7300.
We  paid less than your asking price new, including the extras, and we got warranty,
and the pleasure of opening a new box.
I would think the going rate would be around $ 900 now that the IC-7300 is available.
And no, I’m not trying to get you to drop your price, so I can get it cheap :)
 - I already have an IC-7000 and also an IC-7300.
When the IC-7300 got a release date, I sold two of my IC-7000’s before their price would
drop (late last year), in anticipation of me getting an IC-7300. I kept one of my IC-7000’s
for the mobile - it is unbeatable in a mobile with the remote display.

73
John

On 9 Apr 2016, at 7:53 AM, grif80128@... [ic7000] <ic7000@...> wrote:

For Sale: IC-7000 160M-70CM, all-mode, 100W on HF, HM-151 remote control microphone, new CT-17 CI-V Level Converter, new MB-62 Mobile Bracket, new MB-105 Mounting Bracket, new mobile power cable, new separation cable (Never installed it mobile)-$1,200 (avg price $987 based on 9 t'cvrs)  The radio will be advertised on multiple sites and are subject to prior sale. Any questions please call or e-mail me. Jim, KC0TRK

Raymond M. Burns

I agree plus there is the overheating issue.
De Ray WB2MLY

--
Sent from myMail app for Android

Saturday, 09 April 2016, 09:42AM -04:00 from "John Kramer jkramer@... [ic7000]" <ic7000@...>:

[...]

WW3S <ww3s@...>

I have one, used hard for SO2R rtty contests, and used at least three times in VP9 land for rtty contests, and while it gets “warm” I’ve never had a problem with it overheating....

> On 4/9/2016 9:55:30 AM, rburns2548@... [ic7000] (ic7000@...) wrote:
> > I agree plus there is the overheating issue.
> De Ray WB2MLY
> --
> Sent from myMail app for Android Saturday, 09 April 2016, 09:42AM -04:00 from "John Kramer  jkramer@... [ic7000]" < ic7000@...> :

> >Good luck at that price. With the IC-7300 now available at not much more than your price,Â
> >I think folk would rather opt for the IC-7300.
> >We  paid less than your asking price new, including the extras, and we got warranty,
> >and the pleasure of opening a new box.
> >I would think the going rate would be around $ 900 now that the IC-7300 is available.
> >And no, I’m not trying to get you to drop your price, so I can get it cheap :)
> >Â - I already have an IC-7000 and also an IC-7300.
> >When the IC-7300 got a release date, I sold two of my IC-7000’s before their price would
> >drop (late last year), in anticipation of me getting an IC-7300. I kept one of my IC-7000’s
> >for the mobile - it is unbeatable in a mobile with the remote display.
> >
> >73
> >John
> >

> >On 9 Apr 2016, at 7:53 AM,  grif80128@... [ic7000] < ic7000@... > wrote:
> >

> >For Sale: IC-7000 160M-70CM,

John ZS5J

The other problem with the IC-7000 is that it is power hungry, and draws 1.6 amps on receive.
The IC-7300 draws only 0.9 A on receive. That is a biggie for the guys that operate portable
from a park bench or in the outdoors. I don’t know why the IC-7000 with such a small display
can draw almost twice as much current as the IC-7300 with a much larger more vibrant display.
It’s obviously the circuitry that is drawing all this power.
However, there will always remain a demand for the IC-7000, for use in a mobile - I wouldn’t
want any other currently available rig in my mobile.
But, it has lost a lot of demand due to the IC-7300, from the ops wanting a portable or small
base radio.

73
John

On 9 Apr 2016, at 4:21 PM, 'WW3S' ww3s@... [ic7000] <ic7000@...> wrote:

I have one, used hard for SO2R rtty contests, and used at least three times in VP9 land for rtty contests, and while it gets “warm” I’ve never had a problem with it overheating....

> On 4/9/2016 9:55:30 AM, rburns2548@... [ic7000] (ic7000@...) wrote:
> > I agree plus there is the overheating issue.
> De Ray WB2MLY
> --
> Sent from myMail app for Android Saturday, 09 April 2016, 09:42AM -04:00 from "John Kramer  jkramer@... [ic7000]" < ic7000@...> :
>

> >Good luck at that price. With the IC-7300 now available at not much more than your price,
> >I think folk would rather opt for the IC-7300.
> >We  paid less than your asking price new, including the extras, and we got warranty,
> >and the pleasure of opening a new box.
> >I would think the going rate would be around $ 900 now that the IC-7300 is available.
> >And no, I’m not trying to get you to drop your price, so I can get it cheap :)
> >Â - I already have an IC-7000 and also an IC-7300.
> >When the IC-7300 got a release date, I sold two of my IC-7000’s before their price would
> >drop (late last year), in anticipation of me getting an IC-7300. I kept one of my IC-7000’s
> >for the mobile - it is unbeatable in a mobile with the remote display.
> >
> >73
> >John
> >

> >On 9 Apr 2016, at 7:53 AM,  grif80128@... [ic7000] < ic7000@... > wrote:
> >

> >For Sale: IC-7000 160M-70CM,

r norris

Maybe the 7300 has an LED backlit screen and it is not keeping all the VHF/UHF circuits alive.

On Apr 9, 2016, at 11:04, John Kramer jkramer@... [ic7000] <ic7000@...> wrote:

The other problem with the IC-7000 is that it is power hungry, and draws 1.6 amps on receive.

The IC-7300 draws only 0.9 A on receive. That is a biggie for the guys that operate portable
from a park bench or in the outdoors. I don’t know why the IC-7000 with such a small display
can draw almost twice as much current as the IC-7300 with a much larger more vibrant display.
It’s obviously the circuitry that is drawing all this power.
However, there will always remain a demand for the IC-7000, for use in a mobile - I wouldn’t
want any other currently available rig in my mobile.
But, it has lost a lot of demand due to the IC-7300, from the ops wanting a portable or small
base radio.

73
John

On 9 Apr 2016, at 4:21 PM, 'WW3S' ww3s@... [ic7000] <ic7000@...> wrote:

I have one, used hard for SO2R rtty contests, and used at least three times in VP9 land for rtty contests, and while it gets “warm” I’ve never had a problem with it overheating....

> On 4/9/2016 9:55:30 AM, rburns2548@... [ic7000] (ic7000@...) wrote:
> > I agree plus there is the overheating issue.
> De Ray WB2MLY
> --
> Sent from myMail app for Android Saturday, 09 April 2016, 09:42AM -04:00 from "John Kramer  jkramer@... [ic7000]" < ic7000@...> :
>

> >Good luck at that price. With the IC-7300 now available at not much more than your price,
> >I think folk would rather opt for the IC-7300.
> >We  paid less than your asking price new, including the extras, and we got warranty,
> >and the pleasure of opening a new box.
> >I would think the going rate would be around $ 900 now that the IC-7300 is available.
> >And no, I’m not trying to get you to drop your price, so I can get it cheap :)
> >Â - I already have an IC-7000 and also an IC-7300.
> >When the IC-7300 got a release date, I sold two of my IC-7000’s before their price would
> >drop (late last year), in anticipation of me getting an IC-7300. I kept one of my IC-7000’s
> >for the mobile - it is unbeatable in a mobile with the remote display.
> >
> >73
> >John
> >

> >On 9 Apr 2016, at 7:53 AM,  grif80128@... [ic7000] < ic7000@... > wrote:
> >

> >For Sale: IC-7000 160M-70CM,

grif80128@...

I appreciate the comments on price. I'm still looking at other sales to stay in the ball park for price. Just toured Ebay (no IC-7000s this morning and QRZ where a couple were mentioned.) If you're looking for an IC-7000, I suggest you do the same. Find the rig you want at the price you want and do your thing. By all means, if you want "new box" smell/thrill, go that route. Enjoy your IC-7300s. Hope they meet all your expectations. Jim

Dan Nelson

Oh for pete sakes when will that stupid myth die? there is and never has been an overheating issue ! This all started because a few morons mounted their 7000 in zero clearance enclosures and preceded to run high duty cycle modes.

Icom really screwed themselves by including a temperature display on the 7000 apparently hams aren't nearly as technically competent as they thought

Dan Nelson

"Good luck at that price. With the IC-7300 now available at not much more than your price,
I think folk would rather opt for the IC-7300"

Does the 7300 now include VHF and UHF all mode ? Last time I checked the 7300 was HF only and if that's still the case then you really can't compare these two rigs.

At this point I think the IC-7100 and the 991 are the only real competition for the 7000. Now I had a chance to evaluate a 7100 for 3 months and a 991 for about a month and all I can say is I'm glad I kept my 7000 because you couldn't pry it out of my hands if it meant going to either one of those rigs.

 Sure the 7000 has it's issues and Icom could have done a few things better. Unfortunately neither the 7100 nor the 991 address these issues.  In fact they bring in a whole new dimension of issues and oversights.
I wish someone would come up with a decent satellite rig that won't bankrupt you.  Right now even though I have an FT847 I more often than not use two computer controlled 7000's for satellite work.

I've seen several used ProIII's sell for over $1700 in the past month  So while $1200 for a used 7000 might seem steep right now it might not be in the very near future,

D. Nelson

D C *Mac* Macdonald

I definitely have to agree here!

I have a 7000 plus a 2720, LDG tuner, and
Samlex 1235 power supply all mounted in a
"music case" transport box.  Operated on a
picnic table under a shelter at Field Day
last year with ambient temps up around 95F
or more and the 7000's temp readout never
got out of the blue area!

* * * * * * * * * * *
* 73 - Mac, K2GKK/5 *
* (Since 30 Nov 53) *
* Oklahoma City, OK *
* USAF, Ret'd 61-81 *
** FAA, Ret'd 94-10 *
* * * * * * * * * * *

From: ic7000@...
To: ic7000@...
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 11:12:02 +0000
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [IC-7000] Available

Oh for pete sakes when will that stupid myth die? there is and never has been an overheating issue ! This all started because a few morons mounted their 7000 in zero clearance enclosures and preceded to run high duty cycle modes.

Icom really screwed themselves by including a temperature display on the 7000 apparently hams aren't nearly as technically competent as they thought

David Fox

I bought a 7300 two weeks ago to replace my 7000, which I used as a base station for four years. Never had a lick of trouble with the 7000. I am now in the process of installing the 7000 in my car. Worked 275 (and 7 band DXCC) countries on SSB with wire antennas during those 4 years. The 7000 is a great rig, but I love my new 7300.
73, Dave W3FOX

Dan <n0fqnd2@...>

I also agree with your statement. I did do the fan mod which lets the rig operate at a even lower temperature. I have had long QSO’s and the worst case scenario was still in the blue area. The Myth just won’t die off for the reason that has been stated, non technical hams that fear even taking the case off a radio. We have a great deal of appliance operators today. They push a button and say, ” Oh, look at me, I’m high tech”. Really? It’s a shame that they have no desire to learn the insides of their equipment. This service/hobby allows us to do that. Experiment and modify our equipment, as long as it stays within the FCC rules, to the needs of the moment.

73 Dan N0FQN

From: ic7000@...
To: ic7000@...
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 11:12:02 +0000

Oh for pete sakes when will that stupid myth die? there is and never has been an overheating issue ! This all started because a few morons mounted their 7000 in zero clearance enclosures and preceded to run high duty cycle modes.

Icom really screwed themselves by including a temperature display on the 7000 apparently hams aren't nearly as technically competent as they thought

Dan <n0fqnd2@...>

Yes but, you can buy a new IC-7100 for well under $1,000. That is a comparable rig. Your dreaming to think the price of the IC-7000 will go up at some point in the future. I have a IC-765, IC-7000, IC-775DSP and a IC-7100. None of these rigs have or will increase in value with age. New technology will make them obsolete and out dated. A perfect example is, I have a friend who traded me for a FT-100(non D). His thoughts were, it can only go up in value. He never even used it to keep it pristine. When it was discovered the VHF/UHF final was on longer available, I begged him to sell it quickly, wouldn’t do it. Here it is years later and all he does is whine about how he was ripped off. Still trying to sell it at it’s original new price.

73 Dan N0FQN

Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2016 4:53 AM

[...]

Perry K4PWO <k4pwo@...>

Best satellite rig is still the TS-2000, even with its “birdie” in the FM sats passband (a good mast mount pre-amp overcomes that one). Not too portable though!

I’ll stick with my IC-7000 in the mobile till it dies of old age. The TS-2000 is on the shack desk at home.

Perry K4PWO

[...]

Ludovic Ludo

The temperature of the IC7000 is due to the DSP whose temperature is
discharged through the top cover .
Needless to place the fan running constantly...

Mine has a temperature of 40 ° C on the top.
Over 10,000 hours of operation since 2012.
No failure.

By cons I aligned the currents driver and PA that were not at their
nominal value.

So be careful with urban legends ...

;o)

Some info on my website http://radioamateur.forumsactifs.com/f36-ic-7000
(Use Google translate)

Best regards,
Ludovic - F5PBG.

Dan <n0fqnd2@...>

All I can say is it worked on 3 IC-7000 I’ve owned.  Not one was hot on top. Barely warm, yes but, but hot, not even close. Even after long QSO’s. Fan runs very slowly on RX and then kicks in to high speed during TX. It does this automatically. Basically your saying, because the DSP is the heat culprit, to just remove the fan then, it’s not needed? Running a fan on a very low speed is not going to affect it’s MTBF and does push air through out the whole radio. My temp goes to 1/3 the blue area at most.Try it before you denounce it. I’m also I’m stuck with a IC-7100. There not all they’re cropped up to be. Even after the Ver 5 update, I still prefer the 7000 over it. D star is absolutely worthless here. They also left out certain features the 7000 has and did not incorporate them into the 7100. One noted one was only a single manual notch filter in the 7100. 7000 has 2. Plus you cannot select both the manual and auto notch filters to work together. It’s one or the other on the 7100. May seem trivial to some but, when you’re fighting QRM it’s a big help.

73 Dan N0FQN