Computer monitor for IC-7000 display

Randy <ke4rws@...>

This may have been discussed already but I was unable to specifically find the answer to my question here. What I'd like to know is if you can use a standard LCD computer monitor to show the IC-7000's display output?

I'm seriously thinking of buying this transceiver and I've seen pictures and video's of people who use smaller LCD monitors to show the IC-7000 display but I simply want to know if you can use a standard LCD computer monitor for this purpose such as a 15" monitor? If so, are there are any adapters required to do this or does the 7000 have a display port?

Please forgive me if this has been discussed already but I'm not as sharp as I once was, as I am disabled with a neuro-degenerative disease that is worsening every few months so I'm just trying to have what fun I can before I can no longer do anything at all. I'm interested in the IC-7000 because it's so small and I understand a larger monitor could be used to augment the display. I can no longer speak well enough to be understood but I would like to use digital modes to communicate while I still can. I have an Icom IC-R8500 receiver which I use to monitor digital modes using HRD, Sorcerer, and other software, and thought I might sell it to buy an IC-7000 so I could communicate with other people instead of merely listening.

Thank you for your help and I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

Steve W3AHL

The 7K has an analog composite NTSC video output, similar to what older game boxes used. Not many computer monitors have an input for that anymore, but many LCD televisions do. Look for an "A/V Input" in the spec's. There are also inexpensive (<$10) adapters to convert the composite video from the 7K to an S-Video input found on many televisons.

There is probably an adapter to convert composite video to the HD15 VGA input of a PC monitor, but a quick search didn't find anything. There are many that take the output of the PC and convert it to composite video, but not the other way around.

Don't get a display much larger than 19", because the low resolution display of the radio get's pretty fuzzy on large screens.

Steve, W3AHL

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" <ke4rws@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Wiklund <richard@...>

You can get a full display of the 7K screen plus rig control using Ham Radio Deluxe. Dick, K1MGH

t95lwg,dk2gm,ki4uqu,k4mdx,e79dx <k4mdx@...>

same display look as from ic7k ?

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, Richard Wiklund <richard@...> wrote:

You can get a full display of the 7K screen plus rig control using Ham
Radio Deluxe. Dick, K1MGH

Jim <w8lgz@...>

"same display look as from ic7k ?"

No. You'll have the HRD display, not a direct 7k display. A flat panel tv with DVD/VHS player input will work. Just need an adaptor: 1/8" mono male to a male RCA connector. Tip of 1/8" mono to center of RCA, shaft of 1/8" mono to shaft of RCA. Of course, you'll have to select the correct source and screen resolution on the tv.

Good luck!
Jim, W8LGZ