What is typical IC-7000 output/SWR question

Craig Pitcher

Sorry if this topic may have been covered in the past, but I am new to the group.

I am the second owner of an IC-7000 and have it in my shack programing memories and getting familiar with it.

I planned on putting it in my mobile, when I noticed that when transmitting that Key down, it does not put out a full 100 watts.

From previous posts, I cleaned the corrosion on the fuses and upped the voltage on my Aston switcher to about 14 volts. I notice the power varies with SWR, but seems to be way to sensitive as a 1.3 to 1 SWR cuts it to 77-79 watts depending on band, and a 1.2 to 1 it goes to about 96 watts and at 1.1 to 1 I got it to go to 100. this is a decrease of over 30% at SWR's that most would consider good. I also don't know if my cars alternation puts out 14 volts.

When mobiling, my Hustlers only get down to only 1.3 at their most favorable frequency.

I would expect to get a minimum of 100 watts at that SWR and maybe a little more on a near perfect load.

Is this normal, or does my rig need repairs?

Thanks,

Craig

Jim <w8lgz@...>

Hi Craig,

You don't mention a couple points needed to help with your problem; that's what mode you're using, and what type of meter you're using to test.

First, never try to get an accurate reading of your radios power out into an antenna (Unless you know for fact you have perfect VSWR and little to no loss on the feed line, which almost never happens in most installs; always use a 50 Ohm dummy load.

Second, you should (for ease of testing and to get a proper reading) always use CW mode to get a fairly accurate measurement (most meters have a 5%-10% tolerance +/-). If you have performed your tests in CW mode and are showing 96 watts as you said, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're testing in SSB and showing 70-80 watt peaks on an average reading meter (should always use a quality peak/hold meter for SSB) again, I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are very good your radio is producing proper power out.

Jim, W8LGZ