From my personal experience with several Icom radios sent to him for repair
(IC-706MKIIG, IC-7000, IC-756PRO, etc.) over the years with a variety of needs,
I would personally highly recommend Scott Malcom to get your IC-7000 repaired.

Good luck !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

________________________________
From: wdhbca <wdhbca@yahoo.com>
To: ic7000@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, August 18, 2012 8:39:30 AM
Subject: [IC-7000] FAILURE

While operating phone SSB my 7000 started drawing extremely high current levels
(30 Amps plus) at 14.0 VDC then total RF output failure.

Operating conditions: Portable, with an MFJ 929 auto tuner into a Super Antenna
Vertical and an Alinco PS.

Is this the normal mode of failure or does this portend of another beyond the
routine failure mode for the 7000?

Where is the best place to secure repair?

Thank you,
Bill
WY6V

Bill Dowis <wdhbca@...>

Thank you for your reply. I use the radio mostly portable. This is the only radio I have had problems with. The UHF has never worked however I disregarded this issue as HF is the only mode I care to operate with the 7000.

Give all the problems with this radio I have lost all confidence in it thus I am considering selling it an acquire a Kenwood 590.

I am striving to determine whether there is something I did or just a natural occurrence with this rig. FYI mine is s/n 0506425.I was told this early production and wrought with problems so I guess the question is can it be brought to the latest specs and will it be reliable?

Thank you,
Bill
WY6V

________________________________
From: wdhbca@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:22:49 -0700

I wonder if any independent repair shops perform this mod? Has Icom improved the driver unit? The driver is buried in the chassis core and runs class A thus there must be known heating issues associated with it.

________________________________

While operating phone SSB my 7000 started drawing extremely high current levels
(30 Amps plus) at 14.0 VDC then total RF output failure.

Operating conditions: Portable, with an MFJ 929 auto tuner into a Super Antenna
Vertical and an Alinco PS.

Is this the normal mode of failure or does this portend of another beyond the
routine failure mode for the 7000?

Where is the best place to secure repair?

Thank you,
Bill
WY6V

"Spam, racism, name-calling, vulgarity, religious or political propaganda, personal insults and/or verbal abuse will not be tolerated in this group at any time. Any member posting such material will be placed on moderated status, and is subject to deletion and banning."

Mark Krotz

My call is not KD5RKZ. Not sure where that came from. It is N7MK.

I don't think these little heat sinks are going to reduce the heat felt on the case of the radio in operation. Perhaps Icom had a bad run of driver modules, as has been said many times, there are scores of us that have not had these problems.

Mark

On 8/19/2012 3:45 PM, D C *Mac* Macdonald wrote:
All need to search farther on SV8YM's website!
He notes right away that the info on his March 2010 page
has been replaced by new info as of April and July 2010.
There, he describes his FINAL solution, which was adding
small wire heatsinks to the pads of the driver transistors.
I.E., there really IS a heat problem, but easily remedied.
I have discussed this privately with Mark Krotz, KD5RKZ, and
he has now found that info that is, admittedly, a bit hidden
on SV8YM's site.
* * * * * * * * * * *
* 73 - Mac, K2GKK/5 *
* (Since 30 Nov 53) *
* k2gkk@hotmail.com *
* Oklahoma City, OK *
* USAF, Ret (61-81) *
* * * * * * * * * * *

To: ic7000@yahoogroups.com
From: wdhbca@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:22:49 -0700

[...]

D C *Mac* Macdonald

Sorry about that, Mark. Another Mark, KD5RXT, was in
that extended message string and I got confused all
the way around!

* * * * * * * * * * *
* 73 - Mac, K2GKK/5 *
* (Since 30 Nov 53) *
* k2gkk@hotmail.com *
* Oklahoma City, OK *
* USAF, Ret (61-81) *

To: ic7000@yahoogroups.com
From: mkrotz@cox.net
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 16:17:18 -0700

[...]

I have already bought three driver modules and one pair of HF PA's. Plus labor!