Powers Off When Speaking

Lance Homer

I've had an increasingly frequent problem where my IC-7000 powers off. I originally thought it was when I was hitting the PTT on the HM-151, but today I realized it wasn't until I started to speak that it actually powers off. Moreover, it doesn't power off when tuning.

I bought my radio used. Supposedly the mic had the mod done on it already. Do you suspect I have a bid HM-151 or should I try trouble shoot something else?

-Lance K7LQH

Pete N

I would suspect two things.

1. Your power supply or power connections. If you have a bad supply or high resistance in the connections, the voiltage could drop so much on voice peaks that the radio shuts off. The stock IC-7000 power line fuseholders are notorious for high resistance connections.

2. RF getting in to the radio, possibly through the mic. I had some problems with this when operating portable. I know it was not low battery voltage because I was using a regular AC power suppply. In some cases it was just distorded TX audio, others the radio would go bonkers. I substituted a HM-103 from my IC-706 and all problems didappeared. If the radio is too close to the antenna or you have lots of RF flowing on the outside of your feed line this could be a problem.

KC2WI

im2old2run

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, "lancehomer" <k7lqh@...> wrote:

I've had an increasingly frequent problem where my IC-7000 powers off. I originally thought it was when I was hitting the PTT on the HM-151, but today I realized it wasn't until I started to speak that it actually powers off. Moreover, it doesn't power off when tuning.

I bought my radio used. Supposedly the mic had the mod done on it already. Do you suspect I have a bid HM-151 or should I try trouble shoot something else?

-Lance K7LQH
I had the same problem...It is caused by RF feedback in the shack.I improved the grounds and added bypass capacitors to the DC supply lines.I also added a current choke on the feedline to the antenna.
Now there is no problems at any power level or on any band.
73 de N8DHC.