Should I purchase a IC-7000 ?

ALAN

Seen lots of pro's and con's about this tranceiver like overheating and low TX audio. Have these problems been addressed or should I pass?

david_l_salomon <david_salomon@...>

Alan -

I've used my IC-7000 for both base and mobile operation for about 5 years. I've used it for voice as well as for marathon digital operation. It's never failed me. It's never overheated. It's never blown a final. For every story you read about overheating, there are probably a thousand like mine. This is a workhorse radio...it's like the Energizer Bunny....

73 - David, AG4F

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, "ALAN" <marquis3@...> wrote:

Seen lots of pro's and con's about this tranceiver like overheating and low TX audio. Have these problems been addressed or should I pass?

Jeff Rinehart <jmrinehart@...>

Ditto all the positive comments.  I run mine mobile with the main unit under the backseat of my pickup truck.  Check the photos section of this group under 2004 Silverado.  My last big trip was two years ago to Whitehorse Yukon territory, bumping and grinding along pulling our travel trailer - 10,000 mi. trouble free with contacts every couple days back home to buddies in Virginia.

There are probably better radios for a home station but you can't beat it for mobile use.  Buy the radio, use it and enjoy it.

Jeff W4PJW

Steve Sawicki

I liked the two radios that I own since they provide me with operational continuity, but in my personal opinion the IC-7000 has now reached the "Long in the Tooth" stage.

If you can hold off you may get a more "modern" radio that will provide a better longevity curve.
The 7K at this point is getting close to the "DECADE" mark and it is still in its original non upgradeable format just look at the 60 Meter situation and Icoms answer to perform the "all band" modification but at your own risk.
Regards.
Steve
AB2ET/4