[IC-7000] Its Back

Cary Beuershausen

On 10/25/2010 06:35 PM, Craig Gagner wrote:

Well after 1 month and 2 days my radio is back from the CI-V repair and is
working perfectly !

Now I need to re learn everything on the radio again !

73

Craig

Hopefully you made it through your withdrawals ok. :-) What'd they end
up doing? I really need to send mine off.

Cary Beuershausen/N4CDB
http://www.n4cdb.com/wp

Norm Cherry <normcherry@...>

Same thing as all of the others.

"REPAIR DESCRIPTION:

Replaced bad CIV buffer transistors in the logic unit."

Reportedly, this is caused by removing or inserting the CI-V cable...with the radio turned ON.

Don't do it, unless you can accept a Joint Custody Agreement with Icom. You know where you get the radio for 6-months, and Icom gets it for a month!

Regards,

Norm
NC3F

Tim Hardy AF1G <hardyt@...>

Icom is not the only manufacturer with this problem. Some of the Kenwood
radios will "blow" a circuit if accessories are plugged in with the power
on. The TH-F6 manual and others specifically warn you to turn the power off
before inserting plugs.

I make it a routine practice to turn power off on my equipment before
inserting or removing ANY plug. Thus far the practice has served me well.

73 de Tim, AF1G

Replaced bad CIV buffer transistors in the logic unit."

Reportedly, this is caused by removing or inserting the CI-V cable...with
the radio turned ON.

Don't do it, unless you can accept a Joint Custody Agreement with Icom. You
know where you get the radio for 6-months, and Icom gets it for a month!

Regards,

Norm
NC3F

_____

No virus found in this message.

Steve W3AHL

The CIV interface transistors are rated for Vcbo = 60 volts, so there is plenty of margin for a 5 volt signal. But many hams still haven't gotten the word that radio chassis, all connected equipment and antennas need to be connected to a single point station ground (which is of course bonded to the electrical panel ground).

If you plug a cable from a computer into an ungrounded radio it is easy to have a large voltage offset due to static on the antenna that will discharge into the interface -- whether power is on or off. ESD from your body (1-30 kilovolts) can cause the same problem if you don't discharge yourself to the grounded chassis before plugging in a cable.

I'm not very good at powering off when changing cables and have never had a problem with blowing an interface circuit in my 7K. But the first thing I do when moving the radio from base to mobile or portable operation is ground the chassis and surge suppressor on the antenna before connecting anything else.

Many of the external signals (and internal interfaces to other modules) in the 7K have clamping diodes to ground and a voltage rail to limit transients. The CIV interface does NOT, so it is more susceptible to transients.

Steve, W3AHL

On 10/26/2010 06:38 AM, Norm Cherry wrote:

Same thing as all of the others.

"REPAIR DESCRIPTION:

Replaced bad CIV buffer transistors in the logic unit."

Reportedly, this is caused by removing or inserting the CI-V
cable...with the radio turned ON.

Don't do it, unless you can accept a Joint Custody Agreement with
Icom. You know where you get the radio for 6-months, and Icom gets it
for a month!

Regards,

Norm
NC3F

.

Hmm, I don't ever recall plugging anything in while the unit was on. I'm
usually very good about that. Not that it couldn't have happened of course.

I may have missed it but what's the cost for this repair?

Cary Beuershausen/N4CDB
http://www.n4cdb.com/wp

Norm Cherry <normcherry@...>

Didn't charge me anything..I guess because it was still under warranty.

Norm
NC3F

John & Sylvia <jonsylv@...>

I have a new 7k so am still learning about it.
ok so it seems to be a good rule to always switch off before unplugging or plugging in anything...

Do I need to do this even if I'm only plugging in my headset to the little jack plug socket on the side?

kind regards John .... G8HUY

Lee de Vries

Hi John,
Regarding plugging/un-plugging things while they are on, it really depends
what circuits are being switched. You can safely plug the headset because
the temporary short circuit conditions that the plug creates as it transits
past the ring and opens the tip does not cause a proble especially as the
headset is not connected to anything else. Not so the CI-V connector which
has some transistors connected to the tip/ring and during the transition DC
conditions are not normal. Furthermore the other end of the CI-V cable is
connected to a PC and it may be at a different ground potential.
If the CI-V must be hot plugged , I would disconnect the cable from
RS232/USB on the PC first, connect the CI-V and then re-connect the
RS232/USB.
You can be over paranoiac/OCD about this though.
Lee VK3PK

John & Sylvia <jonsylv@...>

Thank you Lee you have put my mind at rest.
John G8HUY