[IC-7000] mobile install - time to give up

W6ph@...

In a message dated 8/12/2009 2:06:54 A.M. Morocco Standard Time,
steve@... writes:

Will I have problems if I shelve the radio without power connected or do I
need to leave the radio plugged into power for the duration?

The answer is that you won't have any problems. No need to
have it plugged into power. I have left mine unused for periods
of 8 months or more in between DXpeditions.

73, Kurt, W6PH

k5end@att.net

I have room on a shelf in my shop, if you need a place to store it.

No charge for storage. Rent free.

Can you beat a deal like that?

:)

Best of luck.

LK

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 17:08 -0600, ke7fgb wrote:

My question is this:

What is the "shelf life" of the IC7000, if I don't plug it in to
power?
Will I have problems if the unit just sits or should I leave it
plugged in
to a power supply?
--

Chuck Schultz <wq5b@...>

I think I can one up your offer . I too have a space in which to store the radio but my space has power to keep it energized. Chuck Wq5B

I have room on a shelf in my shop, if you need a place to store it.

No charge for storage. Rent free.

Can you beat a deal like that?

:)

Best of luck.

LK

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 17:08 -0600, ke7fgb wrote:

> My question is this:
>
> What is the "shelf life" of the IC7000, if I don't plug it in to
> power?
> Will I have problems if the unit just sits or should I leave it
> plugged in
> to a power supply?
> --

k5end@att.net

Well, no problem, Chuck.

Mine has a temperature-climate controlled, curator-grade environment,
with other radios to keep it company, yeah, yeah, that's the ticket,
and, and, and...a grandfatherly figure Radiola 18 to tell it bedtime
stories from back in the day. And we have another newcomer, a Victrola
VV-220. So, the IC-7K won't feel like the only "new kid."

Top that!

:)

Have a great evening!
Larry K5END

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 19:54 -0500, Chuck Schultz wrote:

I think I can one up your offer . I too have a space in which to store
the radio but my space has power to keep it energized. Chuck Wq5B
I have room on a shelf in my shop, if you need a place to store it.

No charge for storage. Rent free.

Can you beat a deal like that?

:)

Best of luck.

LK

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 17:08 -0600, ke7fgb wrote:

My question is this:

What is the "shelf life" of the IC7000, if I don't plug it in to
power?
Will I have problems if the unit just sits or should I leave it
plugged in
to a power supply?
--

Scott Heath

I'm sorry that you've had such trouble with your IC-7000's installation! A seperate power supply (in this case, a battery) might help with the noise issue.
As for keeping your radio company, I can do that in my car. Your radio would have lots of freinds!!

For pictures of my mobile station, go to this link:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2630240

Scott Heath (AF4KK)

Protect your home before it is too late. Click here for homeowner insurance information.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsHGisWajqpzp597xOEMwbot5SFfEgSTBM4NmLX8BU0DyLzda1sB36/

ke7fgb

I have already tried a separate battery. The noise is radiated, not
conducted. Just touching the center conductor of the coax (and I have
tried several types, including, LMR400, RG8, RG8X, RG58A/U, etc) to the radio causes noise so bad that I can't hear anything else (but only with the engine running).

Oh well. I appreciate all the offers, but the original question stands.

--- In ic7000@..., "Scott Heath" <radio-man1@...> wrote:

I'm sorry that you've had such trouble with your IC-7000's installation! A seperate power supply (in this case, a battery) might help with the noise issue.
As for keeping your radio company, I can do that in my car. Your radio would have lots of freinds!!

For pictures of my mobile station, go to this link:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2630240

Scott Heath (AF4KK)

Protect your home before it is too late. Click here for homeowner insurance information.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsHGisWajqpzp597xOEMwbot5SFfEgSTBM4NmLX8BU0DyLzda1sB36/

Mark Krotz

That's too bad. I guess you would need to find out what is radiating the noise... is it ingnition, or the engine computer, or a fuel pump, or ????

In my Ford Explorer, I have put one of those big multi-magnet mounts with a hamstick on the roof, laid my IC7K on the seat, and plugged it into my power pole junction box and it works great. Usually run 40m when I do HF mobile.

Mark

Chuck Schultz <wq5b@...>

Have considered implementing the " Cash for Clunkers " program with that noise maker ? Chuck

Adrian <vk4tux@...>

�ke7fgb wrote:

I have already tried a separate battery. The noise is radiated, not
conducted. Just touching the center conductor of the coax (and I have
tried several types, including, LMR400, RG8, RG8X, RG58A/U, etc) to the radio causes noise so bad that I can't hear anything else (but only with the engine running).�

If you use a petrol engine (not diesel) besides the usual alternator,
ignition coil
and other 12v electric(a/c fan motor) suppression, check that your
ignition leads to the spark plugs are the spiral core wound hi rf
suppression type.

This was an issue for me, and replacing these to suitable type solved my
problem.

vk4tux

Milverton M. Swire

You're Brutal, that HURTS!!! ;-)

From: "Chuck Schultz" <wq5b@...>

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 23:10:30
To: <ic7000@...>

Have considered implementing the " Cash for Clunkers " program with that noise maker ? Chuck
I have already tried a separate battery. The noise is radiated, not
conducted. Just touching the center conductor of the coax (and I have
tried several types, including, LMR400, RG8, RG8X, RG58A/U, etc) to the radio causes noise so bad that I can't hear anything else (but only with the engine running).

Oh well. I appreciate all the offers, but the original question stands.

Will I have problems if I shelve the radio without power connected or do I need to leave the radio plugged into power for the duration?

--- In ic7000@..., "Scott Heath" <radio-man1@...> wrote:

> I'm sorry that you've had such trouble with your IC-7000's installation! A seperate power supply (in this case, a battery) might help with the noise issue.
> As for keeping your radio company, I can do that in my car. Your radio would have lots of freinds!!
>
> For pictures of my mobile station, go to this link:
> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2630240
>
> Scott Heath (AF4KK)

> Protect your home before it is too late. Click here for homeowner insurance information.
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsHGisWajqpzp597xOEMwbot5SFfEgSTBM4NmLX8BU0DyLzda1sB36/

Augusto

Change the car, just for a test.
FWIW! 73 de Augusto

[...]

"Spam, racism, name-calling, vulgarity, religious or political propaganda, personal insults and/or verbal abuse will not be tolerated in this group at any time. Any member posting such material will be placed on moderated status, and is subject to deletion and banning."

peter oesterle <ve3hoh@...>

Borrow a spectrum analyzer to see what i s going on with respect to RF being radiated from the car's electronics.
No shielded wiring on a vehicle's interconnecting cables is the normal state of affairs today . My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee emits 6M garbage when it is not running When the driver's door is opened it emits more garbage. The 6 ignition coil packs radiate too.
I seriously believe the auto makers do not want your 20 amp power cable for your HF rig running next to their wire bundles for fear of induction into their cables to screwing up some microprocessor function that disables the vehicle. They are covering their own butts.

Some shielding and bypassing on the manufacturer's part could go a long way to keeping vehicle reliability high and RF susceptibility LOW.

Ask a truck driver how noisy his diesel engine is today with all the microprocessor garbage on it. Its no wonder they need their 27 mhz amplifiers to hear each other down the road a few miles.

Try a new Corvette on HF !

I had a 1990 VW Scirocco that was absolutley quiet on HF except for a tiny bit of ignition noise.

Progress is wonderful. Welcome to the Future !

To: ic7000@...
From: i2jjr@...
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:38:22 +0200