From: <kj4bwo@gmail.com>
To: "Ic7k" <ic7000@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:40 PM
Subject: [IC-7000] Mobile power

Sorry if this has been covered before but I need some advice.

I am trying to use my 7k mobile with a turbo tuner and tar heel but am
running into problems when tx at 100 watts.

1) When at idle or even at speed my dash gauges will start to turn off when
I key up.

2) The radio will turn off when I key up.

My guess is that I am loading down the battery. I am using 10 ga directly
from the battery and have also tried a 65 ah fully charged standalone
battery. All rigged with powerpoles, with and without a rigrunner.

The problem goes away when I lower the tx power to about 55 watts. I am
driving a 2003 chevy silverado hd 4wd quad cab long bed and the antenna is
mounted to the 2" hitch receiver.

I have seen previous posts talking about how the 7k does not like less than
13.6 v.

This does not happen when inside off a power supply. I have not tried the
radio on my emergency battery but suspect I would see the same results.

I have not yet bonded the vehicle but that is on my list.

I bought the radio at hamcation in orlando in feb and I remember using it
most of the way back to atlanta with few problems.

Any suggestions?
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

kg6ygc@...

I'm curious as to how you came to this solution. By suggesting grounding and bonding I gather you probably suspect stray RF as the root cause. Wouldn't running the device at full power into a dummy load be a quicker way to eliminate RF as the culprit? Failing this, the vehicle's charging system simply cannot handle the load.

Respectfully,
72/73 de KG6YGC
-bb

Run a separate ground for each piece of equipment.

START BONDING !

Run bonding straps from the exhaust system at least 3 places on
both sides if so equipped.

[...]

"Spam, racism, name-calling, vulgarity, religious or political propaganda, personal insults and/or verbal abuse will not be tolerated in this group at any time. Any member posting such material will be placed on moderated status, and is subject to deletion and banning."

Jack Rucker <jackr1@...>

The dummy load is a good idea - but the symptoms are classic RFI.

If he had that poor a battery-alternator, he'd have been push-starting it.

I've been running mobile 50 years, including 36 amp key-down load on a 6V 36 HP VW. RFI is RFI.

When my HF loading coil is 3 inches from rear defroster, the dash defroster lamp comes on with each dot-dash, letting me know my 400W final is working OK. My alternate ball mount antenna, or just 100W, "cures" this problem. I have not tried to solve this one [except raising coil with higher mast = no RFI] - but a grounded shield on the back window may be the only way.

I ran a Collins KWM-2 for 2 weeks with no alternator in car, by push-starting, & charging each night. No blinking dash lights or gauges, unless headlights also on.

Jack_son

[...]

Milverton M. Swire

So as to shed more light onto the suggestion of Grounding and Bonding, please visit Alan,s web site paying attention to "Common Mode Current, Bonding/Grounding. "
Using a dummy load will not tell you if you're having RF current returning via your coax into the radio. I'd suggest grounding and a good supply of mix 31 ferrules will fix the problem.
73 de Tnnyswy.

[...]

k5end@att.net

KG6YGC is correct.

Let's look at the facts, logically.

Using a dummy load eliminates any common mode or other RFI issues that
may be caused by a problem with an antenna.

Therefore, if the problem remains with a dummy load then it proves there
is at least one problem other than an antenna problem.

If the problem does not remain during dummy load tests it suggests, but
does not prove, an antenna problem.

If the problem remains when using the dummy load it means that there MAY
exist at least two problems, and one of them could be the antenna.

Any personal website created by an individual without peer verification
or industry endorsement does not fulfill requirements for installation
practices. The caveat is, self-appointed experts on the Internet have
caused many, many problems because of errors and misinformation. It is
better to do ones own research and due diligence and find out for
himself what the cause and solution is to any problem with his
installation. Some of the advice given on such websites is just plain
wrong. It's time we stop worship of the self-aggrandizing "experts" with
their pretty websites and stubborn opinions and start doing better
installations. The knee-jerk bonding and ferrite isolation panacea
prescriptions are getting a little old.

Apologies to the forum if this is appears to be a deviation from IC-7000
topics. The fundamental problem is widespread, and applies to all mobile
installations, including those with the IC-7000.

Respectfully.

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 03:52 +0000, tnnyswy@yahoo.com wrote:

[...]

Luis Saavedra

I agree with Rucker, common mode RF current returning through the exterior jacket of the coax cable connected to the ANT port could be causing the radio's SWR protection circuitry to fold back the power. Proper chassis grounding and RF choke placement would be options to try after 13.8V voltage drop issues are ruled out.
--Luis, NY6U