Topics

12V DC to 120V AC inverters

Ronald Baran

Greetings all,

A little off topic for IC7K . . . but was operating FD from my truck on outboard batteries but when it started to get hot hooked up an electric fan via a Harbor Freight inverter. The hash wiped out the ham bands.

Anybody know of a "hashless" inverter?

73,

Ron W9XS

Mike Binder

They are out there, but why not use a 12V fan?

On 8/1/2020 10:56 AM, Ronald Baran wrote:
Greetings all,

A little off topic for IC7K . . . but was operating FD from my truck on outboard batteries but when it started to get hot hooked up an electric fan via a Harbor Freight inverter. The hash wiped out the ham bands.

Anybody know of a "hashless" inverter?

73,

Ron W9XS

M0uoo@RJBProjects.co.uk

Hi Ron,

Had the same problem many years ago when I used to work M/P and used the inverter to power my laptop.

In the end I went to a marine company and they brought out a pure sign wave unit and plugged it into my van. I tested all the band and they were completely clean.

So I would suggest looking into a pure sign wave inverter and still put ferrite rings on the cables.

Good luck

Richard
M0UOO

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

A little off topic for IC7K . . . but was operating FD from my truck on outboard batteries but when it started to get hot hooked up an electric fan via a Harbor Freight inverter. The hash wiped out the ham bands.

Anybody know of a "hashless" inverter?

73,

Ron W9XS

Ronald Baran

Yeah, thanks Mike.  Last minute deal during aa FD contest.  Down the line want to run the base station off solar without the hash.

Ron
W9XS

They are out there, but why not use a 12V fan?

On 8/1/2020 10:56 AM, Ronald Baran wrote:
Greetings all,

A little off topic for IC7K . . . but was operating FD from my truck on outboard batteries but when it started to get hot hooked up an electric fan via a Harbor Freight inverter. The hash wiped out the ham bands.

Anybody know of a "hashless" inverter?

73,

Ron W9XS

Ronald Baran

Good advice.  Thanks Richard

Ron

W9XS

From: Ronald Baran <ronbaran@...>
Date: 8/1/20 1:56 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: ic7000@groups.io

Greetings all,

A little off topic for IC7K . . . but was operating FD from my truck on outboard batteries but when it started to get hot hooked up an electric fan via a Harbor Freight inverter. The hash wiped out the ham bands.

Anybody know of a "hashless" inverter?

73,

Ron W9XS

Mike Binder

Again, why not use the 12VDC to run your radios.
Charge with solar and run on batteries.

Mike
NA6MB