Topics

12V DC to 120V AC inverters

Ronald Baran

Greetings all,

A little off topic for IC7K . . . but was operating FD from my truck on outboard batteries but when it started to get hot hooked up an electric fan via a Harbor Freight inverter. The hash wiped out the ham bands.  

Anybody know of a "hashless" inverter?  

Ron W9XS

Mike Binder

They are out there, but why not use a 12V fan?

On 8/1/2020 10:56 AM, Ronald Baran wrote:
Greetings all,

A little off topic for IC7K . . . but was operating FD from my truck on outboard batteries but when it started to get hot hooked up an electric fan via a Harbor Freight inverter. The hash wiped out the ham bands.  

Ron W9XS

M0uoo@RJBProjects.co.uk

Hi Ron,

Had the same problem many years ago when I used to work M/P and used the inverter to power my laptop. 

In the end I went to a marine company and they brought out a pure sign wave unit and plugged it into my van. I tested all the band and they were completely clean.

So I would suggest looking into a pure sign wave inverter and still put ferrite rings on the cables.

Good luck 

Richard 
M0UOO

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 01/08/2020 18:56 (GMT+00:00)
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: [ic7000] 12V DC to 120V AC inverters

Greetings all,

Ron W9XS

Ronald Baran

Yeah, thanks Mike.  Last minute deal during aa FD contest.  Down the line want to run the base station off solar without the hash.

Ron 
W9XS

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Binder <na6mb.info@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2020 2:32 PM
To: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ic7000] 12V DC to 120V AC inverters

Greetings all,

Ron W9XS

Ronald Baran

Good advice.  Thanks Richard

Ron 

W9XS

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> on behalf of M0uoo@... <m0uoo@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2020 1:49 PM

Hi Ron,

Had the same problem many years ago when I used to work M/P and used the inverter to power my laptop. 

In the end I went to a marine company and they brought out a pure sign wave unit and plugged it into my van. I tested all the band and they were completely clean.

So I would suggest looking into a pure sign wave inverter and still put ferrite rings on the cables.

Good luck 

Richard 
M0UOO

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Date: 01/08/2020 18:56 (GMT+00:00)

Greetings all,

Ron W9XS

WA8Y Steven

I used a Predator generator from Harbor Freight.  It is the power inverter type, no hash.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R33DGU73H70VO?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_dls

Look for one with FCC 15 certification .

I also found some good info here ;

https://www.amazon.com/review/R1JFLH9G0YC80G?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_dls

Steve WA8Y 

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S10, an AT&T 5G Evolution smartphone

Date: 8/1/20 1:56 PM (GMT-05:00)

Greetings all,

Ron W9XS

Mike Binder

Again, why not use the 12VDC to run your radios.
Charge with solar and run on batteries.

Mike
NA6MB

On 8/1/2020 3:04 PM, Ronald Baran wrote:
Yeah, thanks Mike.  Last minute deal during aa FD contest.  Down the line want to run the base station off solar without the hash.

Ron 
W9XS

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Binder <na6mb.info@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2020 2:32 PM

Greetings all,

Ron W9XS

I have operated my IC-7000 and antenna tuners from the 12 volt supply in my Scamp travel trailer almost exclusively. 
I have 300 watts of solar on the top with MPPT controller and two 100 AH 12 volt batteries. For three field days I have used this setup with no problems and also intend to use this setup for my emergency Go-Kit. 
I have found that although the IC-7000 does get warm it is designed to do so. The entire frame is the heat sink and the only way to get heat out is the surfaces have to get hot as well.
I added two 1" fans hot glued to the back of the heat sink to aid in cooling, but decided that this was not necessary.
The only time I have had concerns about the heat was running FT8 making a lot of contacts, but I decided that 30 watts made the most sense in this application. You can turn the power up for that special contact, but more is not necessarily better.
I do have a 12 volt fan for the camper that i could use if I wanted.
By the way on field day in the South I operate all of the radios off the 12 volts, but an inverter generator for the AC is nice.