Audio Levels Very Low - Normal?

Matt Brinks

I recently purchased a used IC-7000 that did not come with a Mic.  I bought a no-name one on Amazon and it had very low audio levels, I can hardly get the ALC to budge unless I drop plosives into the mic.  Thinking it was just a dogy mic I bought a genuine Icom HM-151 off of eBay and it seems to have the same issue.  It helps if I turn the mic gain up to 100% of course but that doesn't seem to be the right way to use this rig.

My question is - is this normal behavior for this radio or did I get a broken rig?  Appreciate any knowledge and guidance this group can provide.