Re: OPC 1443 Radio to Head Cable -Replacement by an Internet Connection ?

Glenn Jensen

Outstanding…. Enjoy (great radio and software).

73’s – Glenn

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kurt Sweeny
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 1:39 PM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] OPC 1443 Radio to Head Cable -Replacement by an Internet Connection ?

Glenn,

Thanks for the help. All working now; may have been related to baud rate harmony.

Kurt KD6LZV

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn Jensen
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: [ic7000] OPC 1443 Radio to Head Cable -Replacement by an Internet Connection ?

Kurt,

My USB port happens to be 22 (using a RTS cable).

That error is generally associated with not picking the correct USB port (at least for me).  Could you have another program running that conflicts with Flrig (i.e. running WSJTX at the same time you trying to run Flrig, or Log4OM with frequency updates?).

This is a dedicated port, for one function - CAT control.  Specialty software may allow you to share the port- i.e. virtualizing it, then sharing it.

Let me know - if it works with HRD, you are close (use the same USB port number as HRD, and make sure HRD is completely closed).

73's - Glenn

On 6/22/21 7:39 PM, Kurt Sweeny wrote:

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn Jensen
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 6:36 PM

Thanks Glenn

I am not running FLDIGI. When FLRIG is configured as you describe I get this message:

I am wondering if there is something that needs to be configured on the Comm port?

Kurt

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Kurt,

Here is mine, under Windows 10 – I use it with Fldigi, works great.

73’s – Glenn WA6BJQ

Fldigi

CW keying…. (you will have to properly set your keyer config on the rig)

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kurt Sweeny
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 1:51 PM

Scott,

Thanks for your recommendations and in sharing your experience.. I will look into RS-BA1 and a junker intel box to run next to the radio. Dx Engineering was not encouraging about  RS_BA1 for the IC-7000 and the Intel literature has a few caveats in terms of reduced capabilities but still probably the best option.

As an aside, I thought I would see if I could connect FLRIG with 7000 but had no luck; played with baud rates Comm  port designations, etc., no luck. As a diagnostic step, I was able to instantly connect with an old version of HR Deluxe, so the cable is working and HR Deluxe likes the comm settings. Any favorite items to double check on the FLRIG configuration?

Best

Kurt KD6LZV

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Honaker
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 10:57 AM

I would not say dealing with the video is a show stopper but is added complexity and cost over the efforts I've seen with the IC-7100 (which is just data and audio in/out).  In the IC-7100, the data is serial data but not CI-V and the solutions generally pass the data without trying to interpret it (specifics are available at that link).  The real issue I see is that the IC-7100 is a simpler platform to get working and I have seen a number of efforts to virtualize that head cable.  I would say only the RemoteRig solution has been entirely successful and complete.  Adding video to the list of issues to solve (not addressed by RemoteRig) makes it quite a hurdle.

There are a number of TRUE (operation over the Internet) remote solutions.  You mentioned WFView and there is also Win4IcomSuite https://icom.va2fsq.com/remote-control/.  Both of those are designed for the more modern Icom radios (with USB and network connectivity) and focus on the transport of the real-time spectrum scope that is not an IC-7000 feature.  I mentioned the Icom RS-BA1 software because it specifically supports the IC-7000 and likely offers the best support for all the features of the radio that are available remotely.

When using digital modes remotely, there is another solution.  You can connect the radio to a local machine with whatever software you want to run (FLDigi/FLRig or WSJT-X), then use some kind of remote desktop software (Windows Remote Desktop, TeamViewer, AnyDesk, Chrome Remote Desktop, etc.) to remotely connect to the local PC/radio.  I have used all these solutions and have settled on Chrome Remote Desktop to make a bunch of WSJT contacts on the IC-7100 and IC-7610 in my office while sitting comfortably in front of the TV at home.

Scott N7SS

Join ic7000@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.