Re: OPC 1443 Radio to Head Cable -Replacement by an Internet Connection ?

Scott Honaker

I would not say dealing with the video is a show stopper but is added complexity and cost over the efforts I've seen with the IC-7100 (which is just data and audio in/out).  In the IC-7100, the data is serial data but not CI-V and the solutions generally pass the data without trying to interpret it (specifics are available at that link).  The real issue I see is that the IC-7100 is a simpler platform to get working and I have seen a number of efforts to virtualize that head cable.  I would say only the RemoteRig solution has been entirely successful and complete.  Adding video to the list of issues to solve (not addressed by RemoteRig) makes it quite a hurdle.

There are a number of TRUE (operation over the Internet) remote solutions.  You mentioned WFView and there is also Win4IcomSuite https://icom.va2fsq.com/remote-control/.  Both of those are designed for the more modern Icom radios (with USB and network connectivity) and focus on the transport of the real-time spectrum scope that is not an IC-7000 feature.  I mentioned the Icom RS-BA1 software because it specifically supports the IC-7000 and likely offers the best support for all the features of the radio that are available remotely.

When using digital modes remotely, there is another solution.  You can connect the radio to a local machine with whatever software you want to run (FLDigi/FLRig or WSJT-X), then use some kind of remote desktop software (Windows Remote Desktop, TeamViewer, AnyDesk, Chrome Remote Desktop, etc.) to remotely connect to the local PC/radio.  I have used all these solutions and have settled on Chrome Remote Desktop to make a bunch of WSJT contacts on the IC-7100 and IC-7610 in my office while sitting comfortably in front of the TV at home.

Scott N7SS