Re: Remote Operation of the ic7000

Hank Blackstock

I used this for a time to operate a 7000 remote and am currently using it for my 7300. It is a bit different than your normal computer control but it does use the cat system to tune the radio and other functions though a touch tone control box at the radio.. It is basically a remote control phone patch that uses a touch tone menu to control the radio. There is no need for software or a computer or even internet access. You can control the radio over the phone lines with any touch tone phone. It is very easy to operate while mobile once you learn the menus. Just dial up the phone number, enter the pass code and you are on the air.

http://www.remoteshack.com/index.htm

Hank Blackstock W5HJ

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, June 14, 2021, 7:16 PM, Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience running the IC7000 , remotely?

I read the article in QEX (Nov/Dec 20220) by W3YJ who uses a Raspberry Pie 4, Fldigi/Flrig and NoMachine to operate his IC-7200 ( a much newer rig) remotely.

Not sure how easy it would be to adapt the 7000 to this approach. One challenge I see is that  the CAT connection doesn’t carry audio (?) If this is true, then a separate path would be need to carry  transmit and receive audio via sound cards (?)

Another approach I thought about was to somehow take advantage of the IC-7000 remote head. Is there a way to replace the  cable between the remote head and the main unit with an internet connection. How would the multiwire parallel connection be managed across the Internet?

Realize these are high level generic questions , probably with some false technical assumptions, but any interest ?

73

Kurt

KD6LZV