Re: CAT settings help needed - Solved

Paula K7PAX

After much experimentation and troubleshooting, it all boils down to low voltage. When I put the laptop on battery power the CAT control would not work, but it was OK when the laptop was on shore power. The solution that allows me to use battery power is a USB Y cable that will allow me to draw current from two USB ports to the USB/Serial adapter. That supplies enough voltage to function properly.

I still need to identify an optimum 12v source of power for the radio. What type of batteries are best to power the rig for portable operation? I tried using  a Milwaukee inverter on an 18v battery and it was OK transmitting 10-20 watts, but anything higher and it would reboot the radio.
--
Paula K7PAX