Re: low power out on HF

Mister Mike

Not so fast! It is prudent to fuse both sides of the power cord. Just make sure the contact points are clean. Use a Dremel wire brush and then apply some DeOxit to retard future oxidation.

73,

Michael, W1RC

On Mar 31, 2021, at 3:16 AM, Helmut Wabnig <hwabnig@aon.at> wrote:

´╗┐On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 14:34:17 -0500, you wrote:

I have personally experienced this, after discovering 30 watts output on hf
on a used rig
I bought. I was not happy, but amazed to discover warmth around the fuse
holders and
adjacent power cable. I measured around 1.4 or more volts drop at radio
thanks to this
oxidation that I discovered on the fuse blades. I cleaned them back to
shiny state, and
problem was resolved for only a while...so I soldered the fuses inside the
fuse cases and no
problems since- full power out, no more excessive voltage drop (the IC 7000
requires
near full voltage for expected power out).

I was amazed. The two lines of oxidation were very visible on the fuse
blades before
buffing them out.

73,

Steve W5ZA

Usually only one fuse is sufficient, remove the ground wire fuse.