Re: Current drain while off

Mark Brueggemann

I recall when I measured my Icom 706 it was on the order of a milliamp.  I'm not next to my 7000 to measure it but I suspect it's similarly "not much".  A switch won't hurt but I suspect it won't solve your problem.  Vehicles themselves have significant parasitic current draws running all manner of their computers and wireless gadgets.  The easiest way to ensure a charged battery in a stored vehicle is to lift the negative lead.  If there's AC power available nearby, any of the contemporary "minder" or "tender" units connected while parked works very well.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM