Re: High SWR on all HF Bands

Dallas N4DDM

Max,
I agree with the other folks that suggest you swap out your SWR meter, jumpers, and dummy load from those of a nearby ham...

Prove beyond a shadow of drought that your radio has a problem and not your jumper, SWR meter, or dummy load...

Case in point:
I have an SWR meter from my CB days and it works OK at 2m to give me a ballpark test of SWR...  It is NOT accurate as my Bird Wattmeter but it's easy to use, if I drop it, who cares...  If it says the SWR is low, it's low...  If it says the SWR is high, it's high...  If I ask for an audio test on the local repeater it sounds like I'm holding an electric shaver next to the microphone...  It took a while to figure out what was going on...  To find the problem you have to swap things out 1 at a time...

73 Dallas, KD4HNX
Whatever you do, don’t fall victim to “paralysis by
analysis.” Go ahead and buy/build one and start
tinkering with it. This is a learn by doing hobby.

No politician or scholar assured your freedoms.
A Soldier, Sailor, Marine, or Airman did!

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 02:33:13 PM EDT, Max via groups.io <kg4pid@...> wrote:

Good to know that the parts are available. Hopefully that will help reduce the repair costs.

Max KG4PID

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 05:12:35 AM CDT, Dallas KD4HNX via groups.io <mylastname@...> wrote:

Max,
If you have ever looked in an SWR meter there are only a handful of components to go bad...

I've attached the SWR ckt of the IC-7000 from the service manual (you can find this on-line in pdf format)...

I was able to find the diodes and the opamp on the internet...  I even found them on ebay...

73 Dallas, KD4HNX
Whatever you do, don’t fall victim to “paralysis by
analysis.” Go ahead and buy/build one and start
tinkering with it. This is a learn by doing hobby.

No politician or scholar assured your freedoms.
A Soldier, Sailor, Marine, or Airman did!

On Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 09:13:36 PM EDT, Max via groups.io <kg4pid@...> wrote:

Hello everyone. I have an Icom 7000 that now shows a high SWR (2:1 - 3:1) depending on band into a dummy load (2 different ones). Here's the catch, I can change the SWR by using different lengths of coax between the radio and my external power/SWR meter. My external meter shows my dummy loads to be a good match but the radio doesn't agree. For a few months now I've had to use a 25Ft RG-58 jumper just to keep the SWR around 2:1 on the radio.

Is this just some failed part in the SWR detection circuitry or do I have bigger problems. I know its just guessing but what are the chances of it being an easy repair and are the parts available?

I'd hate to send it in just to be told the parts are unobtainium.

Max KG4PID