Problem with a new driver board

Eric

I have a question for the group. A while back I put in a new driver board  for the icom 7000. I had just learned about it from another ham. When I got it back, I was testing the radio on 10 m. I have it connected to an ldg at 100 pro antenna tuner. I forgot to tune it up before I transmitted. I thought the tuner would tune the antenna while transmitting. Also I thought the radio would reduce power if the swr was high. Well, after a few seconds smoke was coming out of the radio. No power out. I shut it off right away. I sent it back in and was told that Q1 had burned out. It is now working again. Does anyone know what could have happened? I also have heard of some having problems with the finals burning out and in fact mine had weak finals on 2m and 440. I do not operate it much on 2 and 440. Also, after I had just had the driver board installed, I thought it would help the radio tolerate more heat. I am not sure what happened except that I should have tuned it on low power before I transmitted on 10 . I am using an off center fed dipole which is not that off on swr on 10. I also thought the radio should have protected itself by reducing power. I also sent the ldg tuner in and had it checked. They re calibrated it.

Also, I understand the radio cannot tolerate long key downs on fm or other heavy duty modes.

Thanks for the feedback
Riec WB9JNZ