Re: Another Chirp option

Joe Krout

Ftdi is just a different chipset (interface hardware) and driver (software) than prolific.
Since you're using the Icom cable, it's probably not the issue, but maybe the driver from icom is not supported by your OS, Windows 10? Windows 7 drivers might load, but not run on 10.

There are a lot of 3rd party cables available, that use old copied prolific chipsets, and no longer work with the official drivers. Ftdi chipset cables seem to be Windows 10 friendly though.

Here's a decent explanation

Joe KR0UT

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020, 2:06 PM Romain Kieffer <rmk4547@...> wrote:
Joe, having bought the cable from the local ICOM dealer and received it in an ICOM package I figured that a driver downloaded from the company would be compatible.
I am at a loss, FTDI does not mean anything to me, is there a reference anywhere I can use to understand it, or better yet a source for it?

 rom

On Feb 12, 2020, at 8:33 PM, Joe Krout <Jkrout@...> wrote:

If your interface cable is trying to use a "prolific" driver, that may be the problem.  There were so many cloned/pirated driver chips in use that Prolific changed their coding.
Your best bet is to find a cable using an "FTDI" interface.

Joe KR0UT

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020, 12:56 PM Romain Kieffer <rmk4547@...> wrote:
great minds think alike......    I was looking at the site this afternoon, too.

Meanwhile I have replaced the device driver for the cable but all my great hopes were dashed pdq.  (Just as a fun aside, I searched the network for the driver, ended up at ICOM Japan, found the driver and got a beautiful pdf file describing what to do, all in Japanese....)
I still don't have communications with the 7000.  I will call it a night and try again tomorrow.
 rom

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 5:33 PM Dave Christensen <dkc2030@...> wrote:
I have this program, IZ2BKT for the IC-7000.  It can save memories plus act as a CAT control for this rig.

Details and file found here:  https://www.maniaradio.it/en/ic7000bkt.html