Re: IC7000 tx audio

Charles Scott <cscott@...>

Mark:

OK on your comments about the mic element replacement. I don't doubt that doing that will improve the audio further, but for "communications quality" the original one is fine by me.

Speaking of vinyl (and completely off topic), I have a copy of Felipe De La Rosa - Flamenco Fever (M & K) that I've had for years. Was shocked, but I shouldn't say surprised, when I saw what a good copy is going for these days. I knew it was an amazing recording when I got it (many years ago), but didn't think that it would become a legend as the Holy Grail of system performance tests.

Was rather a trip to listen to that on my Klipsch La Scala speakers. Some 40 years on from when I originally bought them, those speakers are currently on loan to a small performance venue nearby along with their partner, my Crown D-150A amp, and continue to get rave reviews. My Flamenco Fever copy hasn't been played in that many years and I would disrespect it to play it on my current turntable.

Chuck - N8DNX

On 11/1/2019 5:33 PM, Mark Chalkley wrote:
Chuck,

I don’t disagree - I think the operative word is “need”.  I’ve been an “audiophile” for decades:  For many years, I was able to tell vinyl from any form of digital with near 100% accuracy on any system.  (I could even tell vinyl that was originally digitally mastered vs. analog-mastered vinyl, so much so that none of my 3000+ records are digitally mastered...)  Digital music causes fairly rapid mental fatigue for me (I even have a hard time with most solid state amps - so tube audio systems are my thing), no matter how high the sampling rate, etc.  That’s lessening as my ears age, but it’s still there, and I’m not bragging - it’s been more a liability than anything else.  I sure wish I had all the money I’ve spent over the years compensating for hating the sound of audio that most people found completely acceptable, if they could even tell the difference...

Join ic7000@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.