Re: Studio mic and external audio chain ?

Charles & Sandra Cohen

FWIW --

I haven't played with the IC-7000, but I _have_ played with my Yaesu FT-450, using both a Shure SM58 dynamic mic, and a Behringer C-2 small-diaphragm condenser.

I ran the C-2 through a Behringer VX2496 "vocal chain" (no longer produced) -- preamp / expander / compressor / EQ /.  I ran the Shure SM58 straight into the FT-450.

I set up the VX2496 for "contest audio" -- reduced the bass, put on a heavy "presence peak", used a lot of compression.  Using the C-2 condenser mic (which has flat response down to 50 Hz or so) It sounded much like a contest rig with a Heil HC-4 mic.

The FT-450 has fairly narrow transmit bandwidth, and a built-in 3-band "transmit equalizer" (with a "low-cut / high boost" setting):

Running the Shure SM58 straight into the FT-450, using the FT-450's built-in TX EQ and compressor, gave almost the same effect, and equal average transmitted power.  That became my standard setup.

The SM58 is an "industry-standard" mic (in the music industry) for good reasons:

. . . It has decent "pop-and-hiss" rejection (if you want it "pop-proof", put a $5 foam ball on it)

. . . It seems to suit a lot of voices, and you can control bass boost by moving toward, or away from, the mic;

. . . It's physically tough, and lasts forever;

. . . It's not very expensive (around $100 US).

The IC-7000 lets you vary the TX bandwidth and center frequency.  My experience with those controls (using the stock mic) is that you can increase the "low-cut" TX frequency (reducing the bass) without distorting.  But you _should not_ reduce the "high-cut" frequency -- leave it above 3 kHz.

Before you play, read Heil Sound's "All Things ICOM" web page.  You'll find what you need to know about blocking capacitors, and using the "COMP" feature to give enough mic gain to let you use a dynamic mic like the SM58 or Heil PR-781, on the IC-7000.

Have fun --

.    Charles / VA7CPC

PS -- a friend of mine will be trying some outboard audio gear on his Icom rigs, but not an IC-7000.