Re: IC7K locked up

Charles Scott <cscott@...>

Joe:

So far so good. I'm still getting used to some of the differences between the radios, but for the most part the controls make sense.

The cool thing about it is that the control head fits snugly and securely into the pocket (if I can call it that) at the front of the console in my 2014 RAM 1500 without any mounting hardware. I'm still contemplating where to put the control head for my IC-2820 since that was somewhat displaced by the 7100 control head.

On the air it's pretty much flawless. The only thing I find curious is that I put in an external dual-needle watt/swr meter that I calibrated on my bench and found that it doesn't quite track with the SWR indication in the radio. Also checked this with my Bird meter and saw the same thing. I first realized this when I saw that the screwdriver tuner I'm using stopped at a solution that didn't look right on the external meters. That tuner gets SWR data from the radio and when looking at SWR on the radio display it is in fact tuning to a good low SWR. Makes me wonder if there's some kind of reactance in the radio between where it senses reflected power and the antenna connector. The difference can be like 1.5:1 vs 2.5:1. In any case, the radio otherwise seems happy with the tuning solutions. I'll have to take a look at the schematic for the 7100 some time soon.

I do still like the 7000 and will probably keep it and have been using it as another radio on my bench at home tied to a vertical at the back of the yard that has an AH-4 on it. My problem is figuring out how to add switching for some of the VHF/UHF antennas to the 7000 (it's a complicated setup).

So, yes, the 7100 is a pretty good radio. If there is anything I can say I don't like, it's the shape of the control head. While it fits the truck it would be better if it was a flat configuration so I could mount it along with the other radio control head. To set it on a desk they could have provided a plastic angled back to enable that.

Chuck - N8DNX

On 10/3/2019 5:15 PM, Joe Humet wrote:
Tnx Chuck, I'll take a look at that.
How do you like the 7100??