Re: CI-V Problem

Paul Hansen

Dave,

                It looks like you damaged the CI-V port somehow. I always recommend avoiding hot switching the port by making all connections while the radio is turned off. I even like the computer interface device to be powered off too. If you have a scope, you can make sure the radio’s CI-V transceiver setting is turned on and you can see the data on the CI-V. I tested a working 7000 on the bench this morning. The CI-V port idles around 3.2 volts. But when you spin the tuning dial, the observed DC voltage drops a little, down to about 2.6 volts as data is sent. This is very much dependent on you volt meter and how fast it can change its displayed voltage. Regardless, apparent DC should change when the radio shifts from idle to actively transmitting CI-V data.

                Another thing you can do if you have another Icom HF radio is connect the two CI-V ports together. Make sure both radios are at the same baud rate and CI-V transceiver is on. Everything you do on one radio should be followed by the other radio. It should work both ways.

                I hope this helps but I suspect your port has been damaged. The actual components are inside the logic unit and they are pretty tiny.

Thank you,

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA

Amateur Radio Service

2134 Carthage Road