Re: [IC-7000] Source for IC7000 ribbon cables.

Steve W3AHL

You're correct Paul, the boards you sent photos of don't have ZIF clamps.  I looked at at 2012 unit that I have on the bench and it doesn't either, except in the display head, per the photos I sent to you.  They have brown clamps that are easily released so the cable removal and insertion requires no force and doesn't damage the cable.  

My two personal units from 2006 and 2010 had them in the main unit also.  I don't know when they changed or if they mixed vendors along the way.

I think I'll try to order more replacement cables from Icom to have on hand, since they are bound to come in handy some day!

Sorry for the confusion.

Steve, W3AHL

---In ic7000@..., <pwhansen@...> wrote :

I doubt these will come through but, I have tried to attach 3 pictures of IC-7000 connectors on the MAIN unit and the DDS unit. None have retention clips. Because they probably will not come through the reflector, I’ll forward them direct to you so you can point out where they are.

Thank you,

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA

Amateur Radio Service

2134 Carthage Road

Tucker, GA 30084

(864) 222-3539 office

www.amateurradioservice.com

Sent: February 09, 2018 13:57
To: ic7000@...
Subject: RE: [IC-7000] Source for IC7000 ribbon cables

Paul,

Having repaired many 7K's over the past 11 years I can confirm that ALL of the flex connectors DO INDEED HAVE a release clamp that must be pulled up to release the pressure on the contacts before removing the cable. Failure to do so will usually pull the plastic stiffener/alignment piece off of the back of the cable.

The clamp must be in the UP position before reinserting the cable, then pushed down flush with the connector top, insuring that the cable is fully seated in the process.

The ZIF clamp is a very thin brown plastic "flange" that is on both edges and the back side. I use a smal dental pick to pull up each side about (less than a 1/16") to release it.

Steve, W3AHL

---In ic7000@..., <pwhansen@...> wrote :

Perry,
I can tell you for a fact most Icom flex connectors are not a form of ZIF connectors. They do not have clips, levers, gates or any external tension devices. If you are unfamiliar with them, removal is risky, re-insertion is an order of magnitude riskier! In IC-7000's, there are two high density flex cables between the main unit and the PA unit. I see them damaged all the time from erroneous alignment when inserting them into the main unit connectors. Worse, if they come out of the PA board connectors, you have to remove the PA unit to get them back in.

Thank you,

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA
Amateur Radio Service
2134 Carthage Road
Tucker, GA 30084
(864) 222-3539 office
www.amateurradioservice..com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: February 07, 2018 19:10
Subject: RE: [IC-7000] Source for IC7000 ribbon cables.

As a general rule, most "flex" style cables have gates on the companion connectors that must be raised to release the cable. Failure to do that will result in torn-up cables. The "gate" is usually a small plastic "cap", that is usually a contrasting color, on one side of the cable entry point that can be lifted at each end to free the cable. On re-insertion, you want to push the "gate" back down to capture the cable and move the contacts into position.

Perry K4PWO

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 02:52 AM
Subject: [IC-7000] Source for IC7000 ribbon cables.

Hello,

Removing the PA board or analog board requires removing the two ribbon cables at the rear.
After sitting there for ten years they won't like to be pulled out.
Easy to destroy them. Parts of the solder coated contact strips come off, and then later when re-inserting them, they fail completely.

Before re-inserting the cables put some contact oil on the ends.
I used non-oxidizing weapon oil sometimes, when no contact cleaner was available.

https://www.radioparts.com/icom-8900015210

Their prices are reasonable, and the service is perfect.
The number is the original ICOM part number.
You need two pieces of course.

I have found another source on Aliexpress, but not yet received my orders.

OE8UWW

------------------------------------
Posted by: Helmut Wabnig <hwabnig@...>

Posted by: "K4PWO Perry" <k4pwo@...>

Join ic7000@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.