Re: IC-7000 vs Yaesu FT-450?

Charles & Sandra Cohen

While you need frequency stability for digital you don't need DSP, programmable narrow filters, etc. Usually you have to turn DSP NR and ANF off because they hear digital as noise and carriers. For some of the digital modes you want wide RX bandwidth and even for the narrow bandwidth modes you probably want wide receive bandwidth because you're looking on a waterfall display. So something like a 706 (if you are looking for small size) with the TCXO would work just as well and be a lot less expensive.
<<<

I ran an IC-706 for some years, currently own an FT-450, and my club has two IC-7000's.

IMHO:

The IF DSP, in the IC-7000, is really useful for digital modes (RTTY and PSK31) in crowded band conditions.  You can filter-out offending signals neatly with IF DSP, by narrowing the bandwidth.  Better that, than having them de-modulated, and doing the filtering-out work at audio frequencies.   The stronger the offending signal is, the more advantage IF DSP has.

I think the IC-7000 allows IF bandwidth down to 100 Hz or so -- narrow enough so your "waterfall" displays the one-and-only PSK31 signal that you want to hear.

With the IC-706, I installed an "RTTY" filter -- 350-Hz bandwidth -- and used that for digital modes.  It's good for CW, too.

The IF DSP on the FT-450 is effective, but its "narrow filter" is wider than what the IC-7000 allows.

On the other side:

The FT-450 is (IMHO) _way_ easier to use.  It has a fairly simple, single-level menu system.  The IC-7000 has a complex, multi-level-nested system that I never really adapted to.

Also, the FT-450 doesn't have a reputation for "letting the smoke out".  Whereas, if you read the IC-7000 user groups, once in a while somebody blows his drivers or finals, for no obvious reason.

.        Charles / VA7CPC

---In ic7000@..., <kc2wi.afa2cq@...> wrote :

I have had my 7000 for many years with no failures. I mostly run it mobile so no high duty cycle digital, but I have used it for field day and things like that. It does get warm and it is somewhat finicky about power supply voltage. You need close to 13.8V to get 100W but usually digital is low power so that would not be a concern.

While you need frequency stability for digital you don't need DSP, programmable narrow filters, etc. Usually you have to turn DSP NR and ANF off because they hear digital as noise and carriers. For some of the digital modes you want wide RX bandwidth and even for the narrow bandwidth modes you probably want wide receive bandwidth because you're looking on a waterfall display. So something like a 706 (if you are looking for small size) with the TCXO would work just as well and be a lot less expensive.

Some other comments mentioned VHF/UHF but if you are using it for HF digital then it doesn't matter if the radio has VHF/UHF.

KC2WI