Re: Adjusting the reference oscillator

Charles & Sandra Cohen

You don't have to calibrate to "zero beat":

. . . You can calibrate to _any_ audio frequency, by offsetting the receiver's dial setting.

If you have an Android or Apple smartphone, you can download a free "guitar tuner" app from their respective stores -- I use "DA Tuner", for Android.

The guitar-tuner software, running on the phone, will give tell you the frequency of a pitch it hears, to within 0.1 Hz.  It's sensitive enough to exhibit "Doppler effect" if you move the phone toward, or away from, the rig's loudspeaker.

I just gave a talk about this to my club.

.     Charles / VA7CPC