Re: [IC-7000] Re: Replace or Omit Fuses?

Charles & Sandra Cohen

I would apply an anti-corrosive grease to any connections attached to any battery terminal to prevent problems down the road.
<<<

+1.

On my sailboat, I greased the fuses (and connector contacts and springs) in the stock Icom power cable, as well as greasing the battery terminals.  I had no problems for many years, in a salt-water environment.

Boeshield T-9 is really good for this, but any grease that stays in place, and repels water, will work OK.  Battery-terminal "silicone dielectric grease"  works well.

.     Charles / VA7CPC

---In ic7000@..., <jadief@...> wrote :

Having been involved in both amateur & two-way commercial mobile radios since the late '50s the Rule of Thumb has been to tie the fuse or unfused Negative-lead to the negative battery post, since the Negative Battery post is the most 'electrically-negative' point in the vehicle. If the radio was supplied w/fuses in both the Positive & Negative leads, they were supplied for a (design) reason. Use them both.
I would apply an anti-corrosive grease to any connections attached to any battery terminal to prevent problems down the road.

jd/K1TLV