Re: [IC-7000] Available

John ZS5J

The other problem with the IC-7000 is that it is power hungry, and draws 1.6 amps on receive.
The IC-7300 draws only 0.9 A on receive. That is a biggie for the guys that operate portable
from a park bench or in the outdoors. I don’t know why the IC-7000 with such a small display
can draw almost twice as much current as the IC-7300 with a much larger more vibrant display.
It’s obviously the circuitry that is drawing all this power.
However, there will always remain a demand for the IC-7000, for use in a mobile - I wouldn’t
want any other currently available rig in my mobile.
But, it has lost a lot of demand due to the IC-7300, from the ops wanting a portable or small
base radio.

73
John

I have one, used hard for SO2R rtty contests, and used at least three times in VP9 land for rtty contests, and while it gets “warm” I’ve never had a problem with it overheating....