How old is your vehicle?

Steve, WA8Y
formerly wa8yxa

On 6/25/2015 12:12 PM, MICHAEL CROGNALE mcrognale@... [ic7000] wrote:

I have my 7K powered directly from the car battery. Unfortunately that did not solve the ignition/alternator noise on HF. It’s not as bad as it was but it is still annoying as hell. Need to explore noise suppression further.

Mike
W3LNA

On Jun 25, 2015, at 9:30 AM, Milo dma@... [ic7000] <ic7000@...> wrote:

True.  And you could even go one further and install one of those large farad (150-400F) starting aid capacitors.  All of these things are imperfect to one degree or another.  Which is why, for one thing, the manufactures put a diode across the AC clutch.  Nip it in the bud, so to speak. Maybe someone should come up with a suppressor to put across the starter? I have always wanted to put a storage scope on a battery and see what is really going on.  Since I am the world's best procrastinator, maybe someone could do that and report?  I'll bet there is one thing most people haven't even thought of, being more concerned about all these spikes, which may or may not be present.  And that is that many if not most alternator systems nowadays operate no where near the ideal 13.8 volts, especially when cold.  More like 14.5 or even higher.  I do not generally operate mobile with the 7000. But if I did, I think I would be well-served by investing in MFJ's power conditioner/limiter/booster.  Small price to pay for insurance against a $1400 radio, don't you think?

Milo,
KF5GCF