Re: [IC-7000] Safe RTTY Output

WW3S <ww3s@...>

I’ll second that, I have run mine in at least 2 CQWW RTTY and at least 2 ARRL RTTY at VP9, full power, all weekend, no trouble (knock on this wooden head)......no problems with temp either....does it get warm? yes, so does my FT-2000.....

1/12/2014 1:32:21 PM, KE1B (ke1b@...) wrote:
> > To: ic7000@...
> > From: mark@...
> > Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:24:51 -0800
> > Subject: [IC-7000] Safe RTTY Output??
> >
> >
> >
> I'm planning on playing around with NAQP RTTY contest next month. I know the general rule of thumb for 100% duty cycle modes is to reduce output 50%. Is this a safe output for the 7K? Should it by less/more?
> >
>
> Contrary to previous posters, it is perfectly safe to run the IC-7000 at 100W output on RTTY. As I have posted numerous times, there is almost no difference in the power dissipated *in the radio* regardless of the output power setting.
>
> See below:
>
> Why? Because, as noted by Bob Wolbert K6XX (a long-time radio design engineer, currently with Elecraft):
>
> > Because solid state rigs are fixed-tuned for 100W of output into 50 ohms. That operating point is where the efficiency is maximum. At lower power outputs, efficiency drops. This results in NEARLY the same heating (waste heat into the heat sink) with 20W of output as you see with 100W of output. This heating is what causes the problems.
> >
> > Thus, I claim that a transmitter that can safely output 20 W for 2 minutes continuously can output 100w for almost as long.
> >
> > Please don't
> take my word for this. Measure for yourse

Join ic7000@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.