From: ic7000@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ic7000@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
sparq_99
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:27 AM
To: ic7000@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [IC-7000] Re: What is typical IC-7000 output/SWR question

Hi Craig
Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet or not, but you could have some
power drop due to RF feedback - I have an icom 746pro which is sensitive to
that, more so than most radios. I can't say I have seen that specifically
with my 7000, but the setup is different. You might try adding a few ferrite
chocks to the antenna line and/or the power lines to the radio. Just a
thought for something to try.

Robert AK3Q

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ic7000%40yahoogroups.com> , "Craig
Pitcher" <cpitcher@...> wrote:

Jim and Milo,

Thanks for your comments. I think my real question got lost. What I was
asking was is it normal for the 7000 SWR power reduction feature to reduce
the power so much when the SWR only goes from 1.1 to 1.3 to 1? Seems like
reduction of 20-25 watts at that kind of SWR is excessive. I could
understand this if the SWR was high, like 1.8, but 1.2 or 1.3 is a decent
SWR, and as good as you can get on many antennas..

To Milo's point about an extra 5 watts or so does not make much difference
is true, but an extra 20-30 is the difference between being heard, or not
heard by a DX station.

I made the comment about voltage as a result of reading several posts on
the
7000 needing higher voltage than the 13.8 that my power supply was set to
produce.

For the record, I use a Bird 43P with a 100 watt slug (peak reading
meter),
and an RF Applications P-3000 computerized SWR/Wattmeter. They read within
few watts of each other.

Thanks, but I still don't know whether the power reduction is typical or
if
mine is over sensitive.

Craig