Re: [IC-7000] What is typical IC-7000 output/SWR question

John ZS5J

Craig

Right, I pulled my spare 7000 out the closet and did some tests, here are
the results:

Band tests were done on: 40 meters
- At 13.8 volts I reached max forward power - 115 watts
- When I start lowering the voltage, power starts to drop off immediately from 13.7 volts and below,
however it is a very gradual drop. I have to get down to 12.76 volts before it drops (from 115 watts)
down to 100 watts, and then drops rapidly if the voltage goes below 12.76 volts
- SWR - yes it is very sensitive. At 1.1:1 and 1.2:1 it is at full 115 watts. It starts to drop off on output power
from 1.3:1. When I introduce an SWR of 1.6:1 the power has gone down to 100 watts (from 115 watts)

So in conclusion, as long as your SWR is below 1.5:1, and your voltage is above about 13 volts, you will get
more than 100 watts out the rig. 13.8 volts and an SWR of below 1.2:1 will give the full 115 watts.

That is on my 7000, this one bought in the USA about 2 years ago

73
John, ZS5J

On 06 May 2013, at 6:13 PM, John Kramer <jkramer@iafrica.com> wrote:

Craig, you are right. If it is starting to fold back at an SWR of 1.2:1 or 1.3:1, then
that does sound over sensitive. I have not checked mine, but I would think
that it only starts to fold back on power after 1.5:1. I will do some tests and let you
know at what point it starts to cut back.

Regarding sensitivity to voltage, yes, it is very sensitive, but 13.8 volts should be
plenty for full output. I will also do some tests to see at what voltage my 7000's
start to drop in power. I do know that the 7000's that are in my mobiles, they run
at reduced power output when my vehicle is switched off, or when the alternator
is not charging. I can immediately see when the alternator kicks in, as the power
bumps up….although it doesn't bother me too much, I use it as it is. Some guys
have bought the MFJ gadget that goes in line with the power cables, and keeps
the voltage at a steady 14 v regardless of wether the alternator is on or off.

From a happy owner of 3 x IC-7000's

73
John, ZS5J

On 06 May 2013, at 5:25 PM, Craig Pitcher <cpitcher@verizon.net> wrote:

Jim and Milo,

Thanks for your comments. I think my real question got lost. What I was
asking was is it normal for the 7000 SWR power reduction feature to reduce
the power so much when the SWR only goes from 1.1 to 1.3 to 1? Seems like a
reduction of 20-25 watts at that kind of SWR is excessive. I could
understand this if the SWR was high, like 1.8, but 1.2 or 1.3 is a decent
SWR, and as good as you can get on many antennas..

To Milo's point about an extra 5 watts or so does not make much difference
is true, but an extra 20-30 is the difference between being heard, or not
heard by a DX station.

I made the comment about voltage as a result of reading several posts on the
7000 needing higher voltage than the 13.8 that my power supply was set to
produce.

For the record, I use a Bird 43P with a 100 watt slug (peak reading meter),
and an RF Applications P-3000 computerized SWR/Wattmeter. They read within a
few watts of each other.

Thanks, but I still don't know whether the power reduction is typical or if
mine is over sensitive.

Craig