Re: [IC-7000] Re: What is typical IC-7000 output/SWR question

Craig Pitcher

Jim and Milo,

Thanks for your comments. I think my real question got lost. What I was
asking was is it normal for the 7000 SWR power reduction feature to reduce
the power so much when the SWR only goes from 1.1 to 1.3 to 1? Seems like a
reduction of 20-25 watts at that kind of SWR is excessive. I could
understand this if the SWR was high, like 1.8, but 1.2 or 1.3 is a decent
SWR, and as good as you can get on many antennas..

To Milo's point about an extra 5 watts or so does not make much difference
is true, but an extra 20-30 is the difference between being heard, or not
heard by a DX station.

I made the comment about voltage as a result of reading several posts on the
7000 needing higher voltage than the 13.8 that my power supply was set to
produce.

For the record, I use a Bird 43P with a 100 watt slug (peak reading meter),
and an RF Applications P-3000 computerized SWR/Wattmeter. They read within a
few watts of each other.

Thanks, but I still don't know whether the power reduction is typical or if
mine is over sensitive.

Craig