Re: IC-7000 Won't transmit

w3drm

Sounds exactly like the problem I had with my IC7000. All modes EXCEPT for SSB worked just fine. I sent it in to ICOM for repair. They found a the ALC ic to be bad. Cost me close to $200 for the fix including shipping charges.

To be sure, check to see if it works on the VHF/UHF bands in FM mode. CW & RTTY modes should also show full power output if the problem is the same that I had.

73 - W3DRM - Don

--- In ic7000@..., "Keith" wrote:

Hello and 73 to everyone. I just joined the group and hope someone might have some input with the problem I'm having, it seems similar to the topic "Re: Strange issues with output power"

This is the description of the problem I just sent to Icom:

I plan to send my IC-7000 (S/N 0506030)in for repairs but thought I would give

you some idea of the problem in the hope that you might be able to give me a

preliminary assessment of the problem and range of cost.

Other operating conditions:
LDG AT7000 autotuner (found to be working properly)
Buckmaster 300W 7-Band OCF dipole
SWR (according to the internal meter) <= 1 on all HF bands
OPEC 2M/440MHz dual band vertical antenna

SSB

RF level set to 100%

I noticed that the ALC, Po, and COM meters were not moving when I tried to

transmit on SSB.

As I tried to adjust the mic gain according to the instructions in the manual I

found that there was no reading on the ALC meter and that adjusting the main

knob had no effect on the meter reading.

FM

RF level set to 100%

I was able to transmit on the 2M band but:
- The ALC reading went full scale into the red
- Attempts to adjust the ALC -- the ALC reading went full scale into the red when the PTT was activated and adjusting the main control know had no effect on the meter reading.
-The strength of my transmission signal grew weaker as the transmission progressed.

CW
My Elmer, and former owner of the radio, transmitted a carrier and found the peak output to be 5W.

I understand that you will be able to give a better assessment once you can test the radio but any preliminary thoughts would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Keith Obrosky KD2CWQ
73!