Re: [IC-7000] Audio setup

Mark Chalkley

Jim & Phillip,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping I can just have one setup on
everything except the TBW, and let the Narrow TBW setting give me the
extra "punch" for DX'ing...

Since I'm running the audio into the Accessory port, I think that
bypasses both the gain and compressor sections of the radio, so I can
leave them set for the handheld mic, and use the ones on the outboard
pre-amp for the desk mic.

I've got another cable to build and an iBox coming in tomorrow, so I
should be ready to play this weekend...

Mark
WC1Z

On 04/16/2012 04:22 PM, mchalkley@mail.com wrote:
All,

I'm in the process of hooking a condenser mic, pre-amp/compressor
strip, etc. up to my IC-7000.

Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way to monitor the audio
as I configure the compression, gain, etc.?

The built-in monitor functionality works fine, but I don't think my
ears can really hear the audio well enough to evaluate it when I'm
talking at the same time...
It's tough listening to your own voice when you're in the same
room. Even using earphones. One thing you might try is to record
the monitor output as you test. Then, when you're done, listen
to the results and try pick out what you think is best.
My 7000 lives in the car and I have a 7600 in the house. I had the
advantage of recording the actual transmitted & received signal
to my computer through the sound card. But, I imagine that recording
directly from the 7K monitor output would be very close.
For the recording, when I made a parameter change, I would say what
I did over the air..
Something like; "This is TBW Low", "Now TBW Mid" "Now TBW High"..
"Now compression is 3", etc... That way if I liked or didn't like what
I heard on the recorded playback, I knew what setting caused it.
That allowed me to eventually determine what settings that I thought
sounded best.
73 de Jim VE4CY

Any ideas? Should I just try to find someone who's not too far from
my location in Jacksonville, FL to listen and make suggestions, or is
there a better way?

Thanks,

Mark
WC1Z

"Spam, racism, name-calling, vulgarity, religious or political propaganda, personal insults and/or verbal abuse will not be tolerated in this group at any time. Any member posting such material will be placed on moderated status, and is subject to deletion and banning."