Re: [IC-7000] Re: DDS Unit Band Switching Mod Help

DogLover2

It was a brain fart. It should have been degrees. Adjustable from 250 - 950 degrees.

To: ic7000@yahoogroups.com
From: k4pwo@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:57:41 -0600
Subject: RE: [IC-7000] Re: DDS Unit Band Switching Mod Help

350 WATTS!!!! I hope that was a typing error and is really 35 watts. A 350
watt iron/gun would peel copper off a PC board in milliseconds. We need to
get way from iron "wattage" and use tip temperature instead. You can get a
quality temperature controlled iron for less than $50 and be confident you
don't overheat the board.
Eutectic 63/37 solder melts at 183 C/362 F and a temp controlled iron set
for 400 F works great. More common but less effective 60/40 solder melts at
just slightly higher temperatures. Lead free solders melt at higher still
temperatures varying with the alloy mix.
In any case you want a good non-corrosive rosin core and I prefer water
soluble flux IF you make sure you clean up the solder joint. If you leave
the joint "dirty" with the rosin, a non-water soluble type is better as the
water soluble type tends to attract water from the air.
Now that I've dragged this off topic, I'll return the channel to normal use!
HI!

73 de Perry - K4PWO

From: w3ahl@att.net
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:38:45 +0000
Subject: [IC-7000] Re: DDS Unit Band Switching Mod Help

First, get a temperature regulated soldering iron with a small tip. Yours
must be too hot. And only apply heat for about 2 seconds.

Download the service manual and find the Board layouts for the bottom of
the DDS board.

Solder a small insulated jumper wire (26 AWG) from ACC pin 5 to L956 (the
end toward the center of the board). L956 is below J951.

Steve, W3AHL

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, "ddnvds" <dog_lover_2@...> wrote:

I just tried to complete the mod and the two pads that you solder
together came off as I was appling the solder :-(

Is there anything I can do to salvage the board or is it toast and I
need to get a replacement?

"Spam, racism, name-calling, vulgarity, religious or political propaganda, personal insults and/or verbal abuse will not be tolerated in this group at any time. Any member posting such material will be placed on moderated status, and is subject to deletion and banning."