Re: [IC-7000] PTT Switch Failure

Steve W3AHL

The original Alps P/N was SKHHLP014A, per the Icom service manual. This part has been obsoleted according to Icom, but they didn't know the new Alps P/N they are shipping as a replacement.

Mouser normally stocks the SKHHLP010 switch which measures close enough to the part I removed, so it should work. I couldn't find a record of the exact Alps P/N I ordered about two years ago for a repair. This part is out of stock with about 1900 on order, due in late November. I couldn't find another retail distributor for Alps switches. I ordered 10 just to have on hand.

The different suffix in the P/N indicates the button length and diameter. Otherwise all the SKHHLP series is identical.

Steve, W3AHL

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, Jim Wright <ks4o@...> wrote:

Steve - Do you have an Alps part number or a Mouser stock number for the
replacement switch you've used?

-jim

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Steve W3AHL <w3ahl@...> wrote:

My mobile 7K refused to transmit a couple of days ago. It had worked fine
the night before. I swapped mic's and it worked. Reflowing the solder joints
on the PTT switch and RJ-45 connector again didn't help.

I pulled the switch out and confirmed in would only occasionally make
contact no matter how it was pushed.

Mouser normally carries an Alps switch that I have used previously, but
they were out of stock until 11/22/10. So I ordered a couple from Icom
Bellevue for $2.79 each. Mouser sells them for $0.30.

The switches are rated for 200,000 cycles by Alps. I don't think I've come
close to that in 4 years, especially since I use a headset mic or boom mic
and foot switch much of the time.